PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norton Protection Error During Installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norton Protection Error During Installation
    Posted: 23 May 2013 at 2:35pm
Hi,

I am installing 2013.02 and Norton detected a virus in fpxglobal.dll. 

Is it possible this DLL has a virus?

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 3:51pm
We scan releases on our end and they are virus free -- do you get any specific error I can give Symantec? What is the name of the virus Norton 'finds'?

It looks like a false positive and I'll try to get this cleared up ASAP once I hear back from you.

Nick
dwaltoneng View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwaltoneng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 5:28pm
I tried the online scanners www.virustotal.com and http://www.virscan.org/

www.virustotal.com listed Ikarus showing a Backdoor.Win32.Xtreme infection

www.virscan.org listed a-squared showing a Backdoor.Win32.Xtreme!IK infection but Ikarus said it was ok.

The two positive results would have to be questionable.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 7:12pm
Thanks for reporting these.
VirScan.org uses multiple definition tables, and the "asquared" definitions on virscan.org are showing the false positive - asquared used to be a free version of what is now Emsisoft, so I don't know how old/outdated those definitions are. All other definitions, including Norton don't see a problem with the DLL. I reported this to both, Emsisoft and VirScan.org.
I also reported the issue to Virustotal.com; apparently they use multiple definitions, and Ikarus (one of their 47 virus def tables) sneezes when it sniffs the fpxglobal.dll -- hopefully they will fix this soon.

Symantec was notified as well... but I couldn't give them any details (eg virus name/type, latest definition date, etc) as none were provided above, but I'm hoping they can find the issue...

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:31pm
Leonard - I got your email with the details, thanks!!!
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:01am
For those wondering, Ikarus took the cake (on response time). Ikarus definitions are hosted on VirusTotal.com. They were first to respond that the false positive was resolved and will upload with the next update "soon". Of course rapid response while very nice, doesn't change my preference as to who I think has the better overall protection...  Smile
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 9:25am
Norton claims they will very shortly update their definitions with a fix for the false positive alarm on the PCB Library Expert. Please download and let me know if you still have this issue so I can follow up with them.

Thanks!
lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:09am
It work now. Thanks Nick.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 8:21am
Glad the problem is solved.
Three days, and over a weekend. Let's see your local CAD vendor do thatWink
lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 8:29am
Yes your support and willingness to listen to the customers is excellent.
Can you please develop CAD software next!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>