PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Courtyard Interference - Double Sided PCB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courtyard Interference - Double Sided PCB
    Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:12am

In PADs, and I assume other CAD tools as well, the courtyard of all components are on a single layer, regardless of whether the component is on the Top or Bottom of the PCB.  When I run the Verify Design tool, clearence violations occur because the courtyards from the Top of the PCB overlap with the courtyards from the Bottom.

Is there any way to deal with this, other than turning off the courtyards when running the check?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:53am
In PADS, when to flip a part from the Top side to the Bottom side, the Placement Courtyard on Layer_20 (is an "Outline" in the Color Display) gets flipped. I've been using PADS for over 20 years and used courtyards from day 1 and never had a problem with Top and Bottom Courtyards shorting with each other.

I can only tell you what the problem is if you send me a piece of your PCB layout.

plinder View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:20am
Yes - you are correct - I was mistaken and I am not getting a DRC error for top and bottom courtyard overlaps (even thought he Courtyards appear on the same layer).  Is there anyway to "turn-off" one-layer's outlines when placing parts?

Also, I am placing my components on a grid.  Some of the placement courtyards "overlap", i.e., they fall right on top of each other.  If I remember, the courtyards were intended to do this at minimal spacing.  How do I avoid getting DRC errors for this scenario?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:29am
Turn Courtyards on/of in Color Display > Layer_20 > Outlines > Top > Bottom

If you have a good assembly shop you can touch (bump up) courtyards but not overlap. Just set yout Body to Body Clearance in Setup > Design Rules > Default > Clearance > Body to Body = 0

plinder View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:52am

These resistors RESC1608X55N are placed 1.5mm apart - center to center.  Each courtyard short side is 1.5mm.  The Body to Body clearance is 0.  I still get an error

The Courtyards on/off work as suggested - thanks!
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:58am
In the "Verify Design" SETUP there are different options.

Body to Body is one and Placement Outline is another. It seems that you have both turned on.

Turn Placement Outline off and try it.

Turn Body to Body off and try it.

Post Reply Post Reply