PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calculator to FP Designer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calculator to FP Designer
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:11pm
I created SHDRRA14W50P200_100_14X1_2990X760H280. The resulting decal in PADS has silkscreen in multiple overlapping segments. The invisible part is only 0.025 thick, the visible parts (multiple segments) are 0.12 thick and they all overlap.  Here is a screen shot with the assembly layer disabled. Is this expected?

jnshah View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:13pm
This is version 2010.10 PRE6.
jnshah View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:25pm
It is the same with 2010.08 and so may be this is expected. I will appreciate if you can help me understand why the silkscreen is not a complete rectangle as one would expect, given the clearances.
Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:45pm
Can you send us an fpx library file containing this part?
Stay connected - follow us! Twitter - LinkedIn
jnshah View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm
Sure. Here it is attached.

Also, please note that when I create a new part, it shows up as the following with the silkscreen as an incomplete rectangle (This is 2017.08).

Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:08pm
The auto-generated silkscreen outline isn't designed to create a rectangle.
Stay connected - follow us! Twitter - LinkedIn
jnshah View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:26pm
Jeff,

Thank you. Can you please clarify, do you mean it is designed to create an asymmetrical C shape as shown or is it designed to create a rectangular boundary with individual segments? 

Thank you.
jnshah View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
I think I get it. You generate a C shape. As my preferences are set to generate pin 1 line indicator, that makes it asymmetrical. 

I need a fully enclosed rectangle. I used the FP designer to create one. 

All set. Thank you.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 4:25pm
You can create the original footprint in the Calculator to use the automation and it creates a great 3D STEP model. Save to FPX and replace the Physical Description for the Calculator part and put "3D STEP Model".

Then push the part from the Calculator into FP Designer to touch up the drafting details and save to FPX.

We use this technique a lot.

Watch this video -

You can do this with any Calculator part.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
jnshah View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:59pm
Thank you both, Tom and Jeff. This has been incredibly helpful. Sorry for creating unnecessary alarm over the weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply