PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DPAK with 9 pins?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennsPCB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DPAK with 9 pins?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 1:32am
I wonder how to build a 9 pin DPAK like Infineons PG-HSOG-8-1?
The parameters are already entered in Surface Mount Calculator, but i cannot choose 9 pins.
In an earlier version of Lib Expert you could export to the Designer Calculator, but that seems to be removed in Enterprise Edition 2022.3
Cheers,...
/Benn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 8:37am
The Infineon PG-HSOG-8-1 Case Code cannot be created in Footprint Expert due to the irregular shaped pattern in the paste mask stencil. 

But we'll add a 9-pin version. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
gvellet View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gvellet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 3:18pm
Hi Tom,

I thought we could move any part from the calculator to the designer. Is there a reason why the DPAK cannot be moved in the designer? Are there other parts that have the same limitation?

Thanks,
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 3:33pm
If a calculator part cannot be moved to FP Designer, the best alternative is to create that footprint from scratch in FP Designer. Or open up 2 copies of the program and get x/y coordinate data from the calculator and copy to FP Designer. 

There are a couple component families that cannot be moved to FP Designer:
  • SMD - CAPAE
  • SMD - DPAK
  • PTH - TO-92
  • PTH - TO-220

BennsPCB View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennsPCB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 10:23pm
OK Tom.

I had similar problem earlier with 7 pin DPAK and that I built in my ECAD tool, but our Library Expert Professional should never restrict us building footprints. This tool should be ahead of trends.

Is there anything that says that IPC "std"-shape for paste mask won't work?
Infineon's recommended paste pattern, as I see it, is just a recommendation.

Cheers,...
/Benn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:57am
Infineon's Paste Mask recommendation follows the irregular shape of the Thermal Pad. 

That's the number 1 problem with IPC. They do not have any guidelines for irregular shaped terminal leads. They only provide data when the Terminal Leads are symmetrical. 

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 8:18am
We added more pin configurations to the DPAK package. 

Note: we count the Thermal Pad as a pin, so to create a 9-terminal DPAK you would use the 10-pin option.

Post Reply Post Reply