PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Courtyard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mujuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courtyard
    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 3:16pm
How is the courtyard to body excess calculated?

For example, I set the courtyard excess to both body and pad to 0.25 mm. 

When I manually measured the gap between courtyard outline and pad edge (red circle), I measured 0.25 mm. 

But when I measured the gap between the courtyard outline to nominal body (component outline) edge (yellow circle), I measured 0.315mm.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 3:21pm
According to IPC-7351, the Placement Courtyard is calculated using the Maximum body dimensions. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
mujuan View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mujuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 5:09pm
I recalculated it using the maximum body dimension and it measured 0.265mm. It's still bigger by 0.015mm than the entered excess of 0.25mm. Any idea where this is coming from?

I tried setting the courtyard outline to pad excess to zero and it measure 0.25mm. I'm not sure why this is.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 5:16pm
Whenever you change an Option setting, it does not automatically apply to a Footprint that's open in the Viewer. 

You need to recalculate the Footprint or reopen from FPX file. 

mujuan View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mujuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 5:35pm
I've always hit Calculate after changing a setting. There's something else going on here. Any other explanation?
Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:35am
The courtyard normally maps to the maximum body when a maximum body is required (indicated by the small red asterix in the max dimension text box). Some parts (through hole mostly) only have one dimension given in their data sheet, so the courtyard maps to whatever that is.

Only the nominal body outline is represented graphically so if you’re trying to measure from the display, it can appear incorrect.  But set your min. and max. values to be the same (so nominal equals max) and you should be able to verify the distance.

The reason for showing the nominal body is to keep the relationship of the body and terminal outlines consistent.

Stay connected - follow us! Twitter - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
There is an Option for expanding the Courtyard to include silkscreen. Try to uncheck that option. 

Post Reply Post Reply