PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Edited Footprint Name Does Not Appear In FPX Lib
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edited Footprint Name Does Not Appear In FPX Lib

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhalleran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edited Footprint Name Does Not Appear In FPX Lib
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:11am
After entering dimensions into Footprint Expert, and click "Calculate", and then Build Footprint... I'm able to edit the footprint name before clicking Create (so that my Altium footprint and Step file both have my edited footprint name).

But if I then click "Send to Library"... the new row in my FPX file has the original name for the footprint and Step file.  I'd have to manually edit both of them. Could the edited name be sent to the FPX file instead? If I do the edit of footprint name, and then from the Footprint pane, I click "Add Footprint to Library"

Regards,
Chris
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:34am
The correct way to change the default footprint name is in the Library Editor. 

Enter the package dimensions, Calculate and Save to Library. 

Then edit the Footprint Name in the FPX file and it will be permanently changed. 

Then reopen the renamed footprint and select Build Footprint out to CAD tool. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
tgrodnicki View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgrodnicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:55am
This not always works.

If I create a footprint for a manufacturer not recognized by Footprint Expert, after re-opening saved footprint the prefix is missing.
PCB Libraries Footprint Expert to CAD Translator window has no Footprint Name, hence translation is not possible.
See attached screenshot.

Maybe I should post a bug report.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:35am
FERYSTER is not in the Manufacturer List. 

Can you send us one footprint from this mfr. so we can add it to POD and update the manufacturer list. 

Please include all the column data. 

In the meantime until we release V2021.17, you can update your local manufacturer list to include FERYSTER to your Footprint Expert program. 

The the FPX file library there is a dropdown menu called "Utilities" 

Select "Utilities > Edit Manufacturer List" and a dialog box will appear and fill it out like this:

Then the mfr. Feryster will appear in your FP Designer Specifications panel and everything will work perfect. 

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgrodnicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:01pm
Here's the library with Feryster DTSN-33/4,7/20-V footprint.

The Columns that I think are related to the Symbol Editor (which I don't have) are not filled.
The footprint is not checked yet in manufacturing process.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 11:13am
Hi. I will email you the updated Manufacturer List.
It will also be updated in the next build.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm
We updated the "Library > Utilities > Edit Manufacturer List" in the V2021.17 pre-release. 

It's now much easier to add a new mfr. name to the program. 

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgrodnicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:53pm
I'll check it out when you publish it.
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgrodnicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 11:34pm
There is no Library> Utilities> Update Manufacturer List menu item.

Library utilities menu
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:07am
It's Edit Manufacturer List.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>