PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silkscreen Outline to Footrprint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.utrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silkscreen Outline to Footrprint
    Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:58am
Hi,

The problem is that I initally have checked in my "Master Options" under Options > Drafting > Silkscreen Outlines and Text > All Density Levels  the box "Add Outline to Footprint" since I want by default a silkscreen in all my designs. But for smaller footprints ( ie. capacitors, resistors 0402, 0603) I don´t want the default silkscreen created. Why? Becayse the silkscreen is to small to be printed in the sides of the pads between the gap, and the tool generates a "C" form shape around the pads. For me it is a problem because if the routed signal in the top or bottom layer is a high speed signal the silkscreen could affect the signal integrity. So I want it deleted.

Therefore, I change it in the particular menu in the calculator unchecking this box and I update it pushing Calculate. In the Footprint dialog the footprint appears to be updated. I then proceed to Add to Library and when I open it from the library the Silkscreen is still there. It looks like the property for the silkscreen is being inherit even when I specifically tell it not to do so.

Can you please orientate me to check if there could be anything I am missing in the process?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 7:32am
In "Tools > Options > Drafting > All Density Levels > Allow Alternate Outline (when geometry is too small for default outline)" 

Uncheck the box and you will not get silkscreen outlines on 0201, 0404 or any small package. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
c.utrera View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.utrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 2:58am
Thanks!

It worked for the 0201, 0402 chips. But for example I had a component that is not a chip. A DFN Crystal, and after changing the property you mentioned the silkscreen outline dissapeared. Somehow the tool considered the silkscreen was too small but I want the silkscreen in that particular component to appear.

I tried the same I mentioned in my original post, I changed it in the particular menu in the calculator unchecking the box you mentioned and I updated it pushing "Calculate". Then the silkscreen appeared. I updated the library but somehow when I reload the footprint my changes disappear.

Is this normal behaviour?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 8:37am
No room for silkscreen means that the calculator will try to add a silkscreen but if it violates the Gap Rule, it will not add the silkscreen. 

There are 2 workarounds. 
  1. Manually add a Rectangle Drafting Shape on the silkscreen layer. You enter the length and width and line width
  2. Move the footprint to FP Designer and a silkscreen will be auto-generated

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply