PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V2020 calculation in V2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWB01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V2020 calculation in V2019
    Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:05pm
I've seen mentioned in a couple of places (including here) that the upcoming V2020 release of Library Expert will tweak the default calculation slightly, including dropping the manufacturing tolerance to 0.00 and increasing all negative solder joint goals to 0.00.

Is it possible to make V2019 use the default V2020 calculations? How should the V2019 parameters be adjusted to match the default V2020 settings as closely as possible?

In my own case, I'm using a preferences file that I think I originally based on an IPC-7351C file that used to be included with Library Expert. Looking through the Terminals tree in Settings, it looks like all my fabrication and placement tolerances are already 0.00, and I don't see any negative numbers anywhere. Is it possible my preferences are already aligned with the V2020 defaults?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 7:45am
We have to wait until IPC-7351C is released to make any changes and that won't happen for another year. 

V2020 will be out in Beta at the end of January with just the Calculators completed. V2020 reads V2019 FPX files and you can carry over your Preference file, but Preferences are being changed to Options to match Microsoft Windows technology. 

Even though the manufacturing tolerances will still be turned on, anyone can change them and all the solder joint goals to whatever works best for you. 

We're currently working on a series of educational posts for this Forum that will shed light on all PCB library issues. Need to compare IPC-J-STD-001 with IPC-7351. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
SWB01 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWB01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:59am
Just wanted to note that I've been seeing the educational posts you mentioned pop up around the forum. Thank you for these. These are very useful and enlightening. Looking forward to more of them.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:08pm
More educational forum posts are coming. 20 in January 2020. 

Next 7 coming soon, updates on these topics - 
Collapsing and Non-Collapsing BGA's, Thermal Pads, Zero Component Orientation, Local Fiducials, Polarity Marking, Footprint Naming Convention, Tolerances

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply