PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pad trimming for

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanbajic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pad trimming for
    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:56pm
Hi,

We've just stared using PCB Libraries as a reference to generate our footprints. We are using JEDEC standards to reference component outlines.

Does anyone know why PCB Libraries does not trim the heel section for a pad when A1 (min)=0.00 mm, i.e.: the component body is sitting flush against the PCB? 

I'm concerned the Solder Paste on the Heel goal of the pad will slightly lift the component during Surface Mount reflow.

For example: I'm using JEDEC MO-193 AB to draw a SOT23-5 footprint. The heel part of the pad is not trimmed.

Thanks

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:22pm
In Preferences > Rules > Minimum Trim Standoff, if you set the value to 0.05 the calculator will automatically trim the pad from under the low profile package when the A1 dimension is less than 0.05. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
ivanbajic View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanbajic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:08pm
Thanks Tom

I had it set to 0.00, so I had about 0.215 mm from the body outline to be end of the pad. 

Setting the "Min Trim Standoff Height" to 0.05 mm does trim the pads to 0.05 mm. 

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:02am
The New V2020 Footprint Expert will default the Minimum Trim Standoff Height (A1) 0.03 mm. 

But the user can change it to whatever they want. 

The V2020 Beta can be downloaded at www.pcblibraries.com/downloads 
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply