PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple Librarians Edit Same FPX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple Librarians Edit Same FPX
    Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 1:05pm

Can multiple librarians simultaneously edit an FPX file?  Does the software warns FPX file is already open? Does it prevent this type of data loss?

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 1:19pm
We don't have collision control in this version, but we're considering it for v2016.
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
msanti View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 1:23pm
Please implement it.
We just had hours of work lost because, last save won.
At least let me know the file is opened by another user.  For know, we will work on our own file and once the footprint is done we can copy the FPX entry to our corporate FPX file.  Thanks
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 2:13pm
The best way to manage FPX files is to have multiple people adding data to their own FPX file.

Then pass the FPX file to the Master Librarian.

Then the Master Librarian opens the company FPX file and select "Import FPX".

You can never lose data this way and you'll even have backups of the data.

GrungyRemnant View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 7:02am
Add me to the list of people who would also like to see multiple user access to a master FPX.

Another related question, is there a way to have the parts that are built automatically added to the  FPX? I know it sounds trivial but the amount of times that people don't press the Add Comp button then move on and lose the part info is surprisingly high.

Automatic addition of built parts to a network located FPX library file is my most desired feature.

:)

Regards,
Chris
msanti View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 7:33am

I agree with GrungyRemnant, there should be a way to have parts that are built automatically added to the  FPX.

There is also a  lot of work is lost when you have to change from SMT to PTH or Lib Editor menus.

It would be great if the software could remember temporary data entered to any of these 3 menus (so the user can go back and forth if required).  

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 7:42am
Can you have more than one person working on the same Excel Spreadsheet?
Or the same PCB Layout?
Or the same Power Point presentation?
Name me a program that allows multiple users to access and edit the same Master file.
msanti View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 7:45am
Mentor Graphics DxDesigner - ExpeditionPCB
Uses a database...

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 7:51am
Not for less than $75,000 for the main seat and $25,000 for each additional seat.

So if you want 4 people to work on the same PCB design the cost is $75K + $75K = $150K

So if we added that feature, no one would mind paying a little extra?

msanti View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:01am
I don't need to debate about this. You asked for an example.
I like your software; will continue to use it.
Just thought you welcome suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>