PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terminals Export to mechanical

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eng. Jesus Mora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terminals Export to mechanical
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 11:31am
Hello,

Is there a way to export the "Terminals" layer that appears on the library expert to the other programs when you build the footprint? 

It exports mechanical layers and the pads and the silkscreen , but is it possible to export the Terminals as another mechanical layer?

Thanks
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 11:49am
Hi,

Its highly dependent upon the tool you're exporting to, and I would need you to get more specific about what you mean by 'terminals layer' and which tool you are using.

Basically.. as long as its discrete information and I know where it needs to go, I can probably translate it. But pins are usually made up of multiple layers(Top, Bottom, Soldermask, Pastemask), so i'll need more information.

Eng. Jesus Mora View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eng. Jesus Mora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:06pm
Hello,

I want to export the Terminals Layer from Library Expert Pro , to Pads.

I have attached an image where i highlight the terminals and the terminals layer tab. On that image only top layer and terminals layer is currently ON.

Thanks
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:09pm

Those outlines are the component terminals.

PADS does not have a layer assignment for component terminals.

What layer would you want them on?

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eng. Jesus Mora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:16pm
Hello,

Well it would help us a lot if we could export them on any mechanical layer, eg. mechanical layer 17.

It would not really matter which layer as long as it could be exported to a mechanical layer.

Thanks
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:29pm

PADS Layers 1 - 18 are electrical Layers

Layer 19 is used for Title Blocks or things that appear on all Gerber file.

Layer 20 is the placement Courtyard Layer.

Layers 21 - 30 are pre-assigned Drafting Layers.

There are only 30 layers and they are all accounted for.

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eng. Jesus Mora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:32pm
Hello,

So there is no way we can export them? even if we do it on a same layer that is already in use?

thanks
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:47pm

The Library Expert currently only exports footprint data.

We've had requests to also output the component leads on the Assembly Top layer but they don't play any role in the CAD library other than a visual.

Also, there is a feature to turn on/off pads on Assembly to allow the user to selectively add Filled or Outline pads for the assembly drawing.

We will add your request to our next poll for the June Newsletter and see how many users want this feature. The more features we add the more buttons appear in the GUI and things get busy and complex. We're trying to keep things user friendly and simple.

Dale View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 4:53pm
The simplistic use of layers and restricted number of layers were key reasons we trialed and dismissed Protel some years ago. In mechanically complex designs much more layer freedom is needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply