PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solder Mask Oversize?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solder Mask Oversize?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 10:32pm

I usually use FP Designer.

Then I have a question regarding the corner chamfer.

The component picture has the solder mask oversize 0.05 mm equally.

I edited the pad stack to use the chamfer feature. 

But but how do you make the solder mask oversize 0.05 mm equally?   

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:09am
In FP Designer you can edit the full pad stack (Top, Solder Mask and Paste Mask" in "Pad Stack Manager". 

Select the layer you want to edit and change the values for both the Top and Solder Mask separately. 

Note: the solder mask chamfer will be slightly larger than the Top pad. 

Let us know if you need a webcast training session and we'll set it up immediately. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Kenji View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:44pm
I knew. I use the pad stack manager. But The program has only a Chamfer's length.

All I want to do is to have a gap between Top and Solder Mask Top.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:01pm
Unfortunately, you have to figure out the solder mask chamfer size for the solder mask layer. 

0.05 mm pad chamfer = 0.075 mm solder mask chamfer to keep the 0.05 mm oversize. 

Or you can create a new pad stack in the "Pad Stack Designer" with a 0.05 mm solder mask over size and it will auto-calculate a new pad stack. 

Then swap out the pin numbers with the new pad stack in the "Pad Stack Manager". 

Kenji View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:59pm
Thanks.

0.05 mm pad chamfer = 0.075 mm solder mask chamfer to keep the 0.05 mm oversize. 

This is good idea.

The other idea about creating a new pad stack in Pad Stack Designer is unsatisfactory, because It creates a 0.10 mm solder mask chamfer and the annular area is narrower than 0.05 mm.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:34am
We fixed this FP Designer Chamfered Pad Solder Mask issue and re-released V2017.17. 

Try the updated version. 

NoellEagan View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoellEagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:54am
Hi,

I am a new user here. As per my knowledge in FP Designer you can edit the full pad stack (Top, Solder Mask and Paste Mask) in "Pad Stack Manager". 

Also you should select the layer you want to edit and change the values for both the Top and Solder Mask separately. 

Post Reply Post Reply