Forum Description: issues and technical support
URL: https://www.PCBLibraries.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=953
Printed Date: 06 Oct 2024 at 12:24pm

Topic: Location of Component Name in CADSTAR Export
Posted By: O.Mueller
Subject: Location of Component Name in CADSTAR Export
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:06am
There is a mistake again.
The Component Name switch to Silkscreen Layer with Text Code "FPX Silkscreen Text"

We had changed this some version before.
Component Name -> FPX Assembly Text -> Assembly Layer

Not in the old version but recommended:
Component Name2 -> FPX Silkscreen Text -> Silkscreen Layer

Replies:
Posted By: chrisa_pcb
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:34pm
Check the version you are running. I just tried both the latest 2012 and 2013 and get:

(TEXTCODE TC1 "Silkscreen Text" 12000 120000 80000)

and

(TEXTLOC COMP_NAME TC1 LAY17 (PT 10000000 10000000))

for setup and placement of the Component Name.

I'm not sure how you're still seeing FPX in the text code.

Confirm the version, and then also make sure you have deleted both FPX Assembly Text and FPX Silkscreen Text as TextCodes in CADSTAR. It could be that they're just hanging around from an older version, or if you imported a file generated from an older version that had never been regenerated.

You should be able to check the .cpa file that gets generated manually by loading it into notepad and searching on 'TEXTCODE' and 'TEXTLOC' to see whats being added per the file and what names its using.

Posted By: O.Mueller
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:29pm
Hello Chris,

your comment is correct.

But what I will have is that the location of the COMP_NAME on the assembly layer because this is history and the "new" COMP_NAME2 on the silkscreen layer.

Also be nice but not so important the possible alignment of the text 
   (TEXTLOC COMP_NAME TC1 LAY13 (PT 10000000 10000000)
    (ALIGN CENTERCENTER)
   )

Regards Olaf

Posted By: chrisa_pcb
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 10:25am
Hi Olaf,

So what you are looking for is something like COMP_NAME2 on the silkscreen and COMP_NAME on the assembly? All documentation I have has always shown the COMP_NAME on Silkscreen and COMP_NAME2 on Assembly(COMP_NAME2 isn't currently used atm but would be easy enough to turn on). AFAIK, COMP_NAME has never been assembly. I just want to be clear so we don't end up breaking other people doing this.

Or is having the assembly layer be COMP_NAME a standard you personally adhered to with your part creation?

Oh, the alignment to CENTERCENTER will be in the next update.

Posted By: Mattylad
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 12:31pm
Chris is correct, comp_name should be on the silkscreen layer and comp_name2 on the assembly layer.

I think Olaf is either getting them the wrong way around or has a customisation that uses them the reverse of the way they were intended.

Print Page | Close Window