Print Page | Close Window

Defining line with codes during output?

Printed From: PCB Libraries Forum
Category: PCB Footprint Expert
Forum Name: Questions & Answers
Forum Description: issues and technical support
URL: https://www.PCBLibraries.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1619
Printed Date: 07 Oct 2024 at 3:27pm

Topic: Defining line with codes during output?
Posted By: Matthew Lamkin
Subject: Defining line with codes during output?
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 2:50am
Hi,

When outputting components to CADSTAR, in order to use a preferred set of line codes to identify each line type we have to import the components into a temporary library and then change the codes to match our requirements before then adding any parts into a library.

Is there a way to be able to specify what the line code used is for each line? I.e. the silkscreen line, assembly and placement courtyard lines?

I guess the same would also go for text codes used, it would be helpful to be able to change these too.

I'm not sure how you manage the output for each CAD tool, perhaps there is a config file etc that can be changed?

Examples would be:
Silkscreen outlines use "Silkscreen Outline" line code, placement courtyard use "Placement Outline" code and you can guess what the assembly outlines are called Wink.

However they may have different names in different libraries so some form of customization would be good?

Cheers,
Matthew

Replies:
Posted By: chrisa_pcb
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:40am
I've been thinking about it and haven't come up with a solution that doesn't involve lots of UI elements, something I try to avoid. I'll keep at it and see what can be done.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
Cheers Chris, no need to dwell on it too long - I was just curious if there was a readily available way of setting them.

When importing the data, we always import it into a temporary library so that we can customise to match an individuals library, when taking a component out of a stock library - opening it then changing the assignments to match only takes a few seconds anyway.

I guess that being able to have a "per customer" settings file would have allowed us to maintain an fpx file and then just export to individual customers libraries quicker.

Matthew.

Posted By: Maarten Verhage
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:08am
Hi Chris,

I would really appreciate to have this feature as well but I'm using Pulsonix. However I would have no problem configuring this myself in some kind of ASCII configuration file with a little help. Please tell us if you intent to implement this someday.

Best regards,
Maarten

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 4:45am
OK, looks like I'm not on my own then. Tongue

So line codes, text codes, origin text codes are what I'm having to change, essentially all names of codes that have a value (apart from pad codes).

On single components I import into a temp library & then change before saving to a CADSTAR library, on muliple components I can either edit the archive file produced or import into a library and change the code in the assignments\settings for all.

Having the possibility of linking to a config file may help, when creating parts for different customers they invariably do not always use the same codes, not IPC but we generate to IPC dimensions. If I could save a config file that includes every setup option per customer that includes this AND the CAD tool & layer names etc then for customer A I open user prefsA select a part & just build it - it outputs to cust A's path and I can then import that directly into their library.

Then for customerB I just open their user prefs & away I go.

So perhaps this just needs these things adding to the user prefs file & those of us it matters to can edit that or if you want to make it more GUI friendly have an extra config page, also take the details from the build output page.

Cheers,
Matthew

Print Page | Close Window