PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote layouter88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:30am
I am using Firefox (Version30)

unfortunately I made a lot of test today so I already consumed my 25 free parts for today.
If possible charge me for some additional parts and I can test it directly, otherwise I will do tomorrow.

Best regards
Erwin
layouter88 View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote layouter88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:42am
Nick I boght credits, so as soon as they appear in the system I will test.

But I already saw a difference between Firefox and IE
in IE there are 2 different buttons for downloading, Footprint and 3D model. In firefox there is one download button Footprint & 3D model. Maybe that is a hint to different behavior.

Best regards
Erwin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote layouter88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:55am
Nick, the difference is not betweeen IE and Firefox.
I use a Firefox plug in called Ghostery which shows where all your data will be transfered to, all Trackers and so on.
After stopping the plug in, Firefox also shows 2 different download buttons for Footprint and for 3D Model
jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 4:08am
Hi, I am using Firefox as well, but without any download managers.  My version is 29.0.1.

The last time I downloaded from the POD before today I downloaded okay without any problems, the downloaded file had the extension .fpx

Today after reading this thread I tried again.  I only see one button for download. Unlike Erwin, when I download I see an extension but it's .txt not .fpx but using delete and entering .fpx in the dialogue box worked okay with a downloaded file now having a .fpx extension.

I've never previously had any issues so I suspect it's a recent update on my system that's caused this.

This triggers a memory of a similar problem I had with a particular file format several years ago when trying to download from Firefox and the solution was to go into the Firefox config (the bit that says "here be dragons" and alter a config setting.  I can't remember the details now but I will try and have a look.
jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 6:22am
Tried Chrome and .fpx downloads okay.

Problem seems to only be on Firefox updates from a week or so ago.  I have only a few add ons installed in Firefox - AdBlock Plus, Do Not Track Me, HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript, Password Exporter, and Logitech SetPoint.  I disabled all of them but still have the same problem as Erwin.

I suspect it's a webserver/firefox issue with MIME.

I have an issue at the moment with Firefox and an external CSS file on a site I manage for my hash chapter where Firefox on Windows XP won't show the CSS on the HTML page. I found that it's got something to do with the MIME configuration on the webserver but I have no access to change that even if I knew how. Just wondering if it's a similar problem here.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 7:03am

Originally posted by layouter88 layouter88 wrote:

I am using Firefox (Version30)

unfortunately I made a lot of test today so I already consumed my 25 free parts for today.
If possible charge me for some additional parts and I can test it directly, otherwise I will do tomorrow.

Please log out and log back in so you can try again - your daily limit of free parts is updated.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layouter88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 8:07am

Nick,

with IE everything works perfectly. Download saves the file with .fpx Extension and open with directly opens the file in the Library Expert.

So from my point of view no issue.

Best regards

Erwin

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 5:19am
By the time we adjust to FireFox' new mood swing, Microsoft will do something to break IE. Bright little ray of sunshine aren't I? ;-)  To fix this revolving door issue once and for all, we are looking at integrating the LE with POD, planned for beta later this year.
jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 6:06am
I suspect you'd be right there Nick, trying to hit a moving taget, but you are ex-military so it shouldn't be too difficult for you! LOL

I did a little reading and discovered a piece where Mozilla say they decided to handle MIME in a different way to make it more flexible for users.

I'm not bothered about a fix, it's pretty quick to change the file extension myself.

Most manufacturers provide their 3D models or PCB footprints in a zip archive I've noticed, probably just because of this or similar issues.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 6:21am

After all the grief and heartburn caused by IE and FF, I'll take a howitzer to either of them any day of the week - if only I could! I know, it seems that it's always in the name of "improvement" that stuff gets broken...

I'd prefer to not have to use ZIP on POD as it would permanently eliminate the option to "Open" FPX directly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12