PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCB Library Rules Override

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCB Library Rules Override
    Posted: 06 Jan 2015 at 1:01pm

If I am defining a group of components using some default rules, the editor allows me to enter a change in the rules.  I can see the effect on the part when I click OK.  But when I then add the component, the default rules kick in and undo the rule changes I made.

Is there a way to use rules on a specific part that differ from the default rules in effect?

A related question is this.  When building a part with the FP designer (where a pin 1 dot is spec'd in the drafting rules), no dot was placed on the silkscreen.  Pin 1 is not marked in any way, and I see no way to modify the silkscreen lines to suit.

I think we can skip the web cast for now if you can answer these two questions.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 5:12pm

V2015.05 FP Designer does not have a Pin 1 Silkscreen Polarity, but we're working on it for a future release.

Polarity Marking for both Silkscreen and Assembly Drawing will include: Dot, Plus, Triangle, Diode and Line features.  
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 5:14pm
I saved the component, and then reopened it.  It comes up in its own window and I cannot edit it, apparently without starting over?

Definitely using 2015.05

Perhaps you can just answer these 2 questions:

1.  Why does 'OK' undo the rules changes I make, going back to the default user preferences.  The drafting rules are not grayed out.  So the parameters should take effect when I click OK, e.g., pin 1 dot size.

2. I need control of the pin 1 and polarity markers for parts I build.  Subtracting out the silkscreen is inconsistent with everything in your IPC library examples and the prototypes under 'surface mount' last I looked.  If you are going to do it for us, why not put it in for pin 1 on the silkscreen outline rather than leave it out.  This seems like a discontinuity in the way libraries have been built.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 5:33pm

Are you sure that you're using V2015.05?

We can do a webcast in the morning and have the programmers attend.

SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 12:42pm

I'm hard to schedule today unless we do it right now.  Definitely using 2015.05

Perhaps you can just answer these 2 questions:

1.  Why does 'OK' undo the rules changes I make, going back to the default user preferences.  The drafting rules are not grayed out.  So the parameters should take effect when I click OK, e.g., pin 1 dot size.

2. I need control of the pin 1 and polarity markers for parts I build.  Subtracting out the silkscreen is inconsistent with everything in your IPC library examples and the prototypes under 'surface mount' last I looked.  If you are going to do it for us, why not put it in for pin 1 on the silkscreen outline rather than leave it out.  This seems like a discontinuity in the way libraries have been built.

kmorris View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmorris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 4:23pm
Tom, 

Can there be an option for a pin 1 dot for FP Designer? There are many cases when I am using FP Designer that a pin 1 is required. As it is now I have to open up the footprint in PADS and add a pin 1. The tool would be much more useful if it had this option in my mind.

Thanks,

Kirk
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 5:48pm
If you download and install V2015.14, FP Designer now has 5 different polarity markers in the Drawing Button (select toolbar icon) in Pins tab.

The secret is to place your cursor and click where you want the Polarity Marker and then select the "F2" function key, it will remember your X/Y coordinates.

Select the Drawing icon button in the toolbar and then -
  1. Select Polarity Marking - Dot (IC's), Plus (Capacitors), Triangle (Connectors), Diode (Diodes and LED's), Line (whatever you want)
  2. Select Layer - Top Silkscreen, Top Assembly
  3. Enter the shape size and the line width (whatever your default silkscreen line width is)
  4. Select Apply and the dialog box will stay open so you can change the X/Y location or rotation
  5. Select Close when your Polarity Marker is perfect

This feature also includes Keep-out shapes (rectangle or circle) for -

1. Copper Pour
  2. Traces
  3. Vias
  4. Test Points
  5. Top Layer, Outer Layers or All Layers

You have to try V2015.14 to see all the cool new features.

Post Reply Post Reply