PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miscellaneous Questions and Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:49am

12. How do I unselect a library row once I select it?

Select (click in) any Cell

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:05pm

5. What is the difference between create, restore, etc.?  Needs hovering help on all items on the Create Footprint page.  I have not found the help on that yet.

"Save Entries as Defaults" = Set up your CAD tool version, Output Directory, Library Name and other settings then select this button to save as your preferences.

"Restore Entries to Defaults" = if you manually make any changes (edits) to the CAD tool version, Output Directory, Library Name, this button will restore all the Default Values that you previously stored.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:10pm

6. PCB Library Expert often hangs when I do a Create, or a Create and Close.  I have to shut it down with the task manager.  No idea why.

We never have experienced this. It could be a malfunction of your license or installation.  

There is a Progress Bar at the bottom and it only takes two seconds to work. If it doesn't, there is something wrong. I recommend a webcast with the support team so they can help you with this issue live.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:12pm

9. There is no library close without saving on the menu.  It seems to be implicit in other operations.  Better to be explicit.

OK, we added a new "Close Library" option in the toolbar. It will be in the V2013.20 release tomorrow.

SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 5:20pm
Tom,

1. Thanks but try that after selecting a thousand items to delete.  It will not work with right click and delete.  Also in Excel or in the File Explorer the custom is to CTL-click a line to select and unselect it.

12.  That makes sense.  Thank you.

7.  Yes but I cannot directly type in the path.  That is unwindows-like.

2.  Thank you!

3.  Will get back on this one....

10.  I think I got in a situation where that was not displayed.  Will check again....

11. OK!

Thanks for the prompt attention to these.
Steve
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 6:12pm

In the past 10 years since we've been creating IPC Footprint Calculators and Library Management documentation tools, I've never heard of anyone deleting thousands or even hundreds of Rows from an FPX file.

Normally, you would select the parts you want to keep and RMB select Copy and open a new Library and RMB Paste / File Save As / New Name . FPX

I opened the Texas Instruments FPX file with 75,702 parts and I selected all the Rows and RMB delete and it took 8 minutes. I tried the same thing with SM.fpx with 3,000 parts and it took 10 seconds.

SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 10:53pm
Tom,

I am at home and cannot access the license from here to document the problem I saw further.  You are right.  It would not be a normal operation to perform.  As I recall I tried it after running into trouble with RMB based copy and paste.  I tried to cut from one set of rows and paste to another to change the display order in one trial (getting the items I wanted to move in a group), and another time I tried to RMB copy and paste to another file.  These did not work as I recall.  Later I found that it did work with edit cut or edit copy and edit paste to another file as you say.  So I then started experimenting and ran into the problem deleting a lot of rows.  Let me look at it further next week and report more accurately the specific circumstances.  Maybe I did not wait long enough for the delete to complete.  Maybe the times it seemed to hang, noted in another item, were when it was catching up with my delete request.  I do remember that when I selected a bunch of rows and clicked delete only one row seemed deleted, if any.  I need to test and see if RMB delete, Edit delete, and the delete key all work the same for highlighted items.  
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 3:20pm
1. This does seem to work ok after all.  I must have been deceived by the long delay when deleting many many parts in a troubleshooting test.  This may also explain the 'hangs' I was experiencing.  If so, it would be helpful to tell people when something will take a while.
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 3:39pm
7.  This is a minor inconvenience.  But I still do not understand how to do this.  Right now if I open user preferences > Setup Options: Files > I cannot edit the path/file except by browsing to a directory or fpx file(neither of which may exist yet).

Are you saying that if I somehow create a dummy MyPreferences.dat then I will be able to type in a path to my fpx file or my Library Directory without having to browse to it?  What difference should that make?  Windows does not usually work that way.
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 3:53pm
  1. Can't delete multiple rows with right click when many are selected.  Have to use edit  > delete. ANSWERED
  2. 'Import' icon text should be called "Add to Library" instead.  The term import is very ambiguous.  Depends on which side of the horizontal line you are on.  ANSWERED
  3. Browse for folder always places the window such that I cannot reach the new folder or the ok button without moving it up.  Is that me, my display or a software bug?  ANSWERED
  4. When I go to create the footprint, there are two prompts for library name, and one for part type name that I cannot fill in.  What is the difference between create, restore etc?  Needs hovering help on all items on the Create Footprint page.  I have not found the help on that yet.          ~ANSWERED (What about the two library name prompts?  What's what here?)
  5. PCB Libs often hangs when I do a create, or a create and close.  I have to shut it down with the task manager.  No idea why.  ANSWERED
  6. Needs an automatic release of the licenses on exit for use with shared licenses on a network license server.  ~ANSWERED (would help to revert to librarian only)
  7. I cannot edit the path to the Library Directory or the default library without browsing to it.  ~NOT ANSWERED (still cannot type a path)
  8. There is no library close without saving on the menu.  It seems to be implicit in other operations.  Better to be explicit.  ANSWERED
  9. It does not show me what library is open when I have the library view alone with no parts creation going on.  I need to see that before I save or do any line item deletes.  ANSWERED
  10. I have to keep changing the Output Directory name in Create Footprint.  Where is the default setting for that if I do not want it to go to the PADS library directory?  I just want to see if the files are being created right without opening.  ANSWERED
  11. How do I unselect a library row once I select it.  ANSWERED
  12. Is the difference between l, p, d vs ln/ld, pt, pd just a name change across PADS generations?  I see both in my Mentor directory.  ANSWERED
Three left to go.  Thanks for the excellent support
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>