PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polarized Electrolytic TH Capacitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflagstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polarized Electrolytic TH Capacitor
    Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 2:25pm

I've notice that 3D models for electrolytic capacitors place the minus (stripe) side on the same side as pin 1 for radial type packages. 

We would usually associate the plus side with pin 1. 

Is there a way to configure this in the Library Expert so you can dictate which side is plus and which side is minus? (I am an Altium user if it matters).

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 2:53pm

Do you want the 3D STEP polarity on Pin 2?

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
jflagstad View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflagstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 3:15pm
Yes, I need a way to keep pin 1 on the left, and the stripe on the 3D model on the right.
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 3:47pm

If you import the STEP file manually, you should be able to specify a 180 degree rotation around the vertical axis. Since its centered on the origin, this should flip the stripe to the other side. Haven't tried it, but that should be a temp fix.

Its also feasible to do this in code, but I would need some UI to denote this is what was intended and its a very specialized use case. I'll run it by Jeff.

jflagstad View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflagstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 3:57pm

Yep, importing the STEP itself with the 180deg. rotation works.  I guess I was looking for this orientation coming direct from the "CreateALibrary" script that I wouldn't have to modify.

I can also see the other side of this argument... that being we could just change our polarized capacitor symbol so the negative side is pin 1 and the positive side is pin 2. 

However, in our database library, we are using 1 symbol to many parts, so we wouldn't want to change that at this point. 

Having this as a configurable option in the UI would be desirable.

chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 8:22pm

The other side of the argument is you simply add it manually, or rotate the model itself 180 after placement.

The issue I have is that for the FPX to handle it, the modification is so user specific to a single family that literally you're likely to be the only one that uses it. How many Radial Electrolytics are we talking?

jflagstad View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflagstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:24am

All of them :)

Rotating the STEP is fine; we can deal with the three seconds it takes to do that. 

I was merely looking for another solution other than a manual edit. 

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply