PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BGA With Staggered Pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BGA With Staggered Pins
    Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:08am
I am trying to create a Texas Instruments ZSU (R-uCSP-N11) that is a 3 by 7 matrix with missing every other pin. The software does not take into account the missing pins when using the pin to pin spacing rule and end up trimming the pads.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:18am
This package is a 5 minute FP Designer part. Please don't use the IPC Calculator to create non-standard footprints. http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/mubg002/mubg002.pdf

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:22am
Why do you consider it a non-standard part instead of the software not checking the clearance to a non existent pin ?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:26am
It's a non-standard part because the IPC calculator was not set up to handle staggered pin BGA's.

Can you please tell us what the TI Logical Part Number is and I will create it in less than 5 minutes and post it here so you can see the speed and power of FP Designer.

I have a webcast at 8:00am PST so please hurry.

lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 7:32am
I already created the part in the IPC calculator and fixed the clearance problem by setting the pad to pad clearance to zero. The only reason I suggest fixing it in the calculator is I created the part the first time and only noticed the pads were way too small when placing the part in pads. This is dangerous if you miss it.

lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:31pm

Did you ever see my last post ?

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:23pm
You can request "Staggered Row" BGA Calculator in Product Suggestions forum.

I built the part flawlessly in less than 5 minutes in FP Designer (less time than answering all these questions).

I would have posted it here for free if you would have answered my request.
lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:30pm
Sorry Tom but I think you are missing the point. I can and did built this part as a 3 x 7 matrix bga and removed certain pins not with FP designer but with bga calculator.  There is no need to request a "Staggered ROW" bga calculator as you can use the existing bga calculator. The problem I ran into is The software does not take into account the missing pins when using the pin to pin spacing rule and ends up trimming the pads and does not need to.  The only reason I suggest fixing it in the calculator is I created the part the first time and only noticed the pads were way too small when placing the part in pads. This is dangerous if you miss it.

I guess I should have posted this in as a bug ?

Post Reply Post Reply