PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is POD really free for pro users?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is POD really free for pro users?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 9:05am
The release at http://www.pcblibraries.com/forum/library-expert-201518-released_topic1784.html suggests that POD downloads are now free for all pro users, is this really the case or just marketing miscellany?

As a pro user will all POD parts be available for free or is it just the download of them that is free but getting them in he first place is going to cost etc?
Searching for parts show login required and 1 credit cost?

It would help to be clarified so that I know what to tell people when I show them the LE tool.

Cheers,
Matthew
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 9:12am
LE Pro customers (whose account is associated with a purchased license) have access to POD. The limit is 25 parts per day. If someone looks for a part we do not have available can be built for the following cost, and we'll post them online and make them available for everyone else:
  • LE Pro Customers 5 credits
  • POD Builder users 7 credits
Cost is $1/credit.

Regards,
Nick

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Matthew Lamkin View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 9:27am
Cheers Nick,

OK so if you have LE Pro then you can get 25 parts a day for free, that's useful to know as it will help to sell  the idea of LE Pro to the CADSTAR users I teach (they all often scribble notes when I show it to them :) ).

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 9:51am
Customers can download parts from www.PCBLibraries.com/POD by logging in with the same account that they have access to download the Library Expert Pro.
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 2:25am
OK, seems that does not include me :(

POD - how to get to it?
Now no point in posting a link - anyone that cannot remember the link will likely come to the main website.
From there I cannot see a link to POD?
It's not in the menu's or the bottom links, is it intentionally hidden?
IanOnBass View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanOnBass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 2:45am
Matthew - If you have the Library Expert Pro version, you can access POD directly from with the Library Editor within the program.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 9:28am
We actually have 2 software programs that use POD parts:
  1. Purchase Library Expert Pro and get free parts
  2. Download POD Builder and pay $1 per part
POD Builder has these features:
  1. Preferences
  2. Library Editor
  3. 21 CAD tool interfaces
  4. 3D STEP
Basically POD Builder has every feature that Pro has except you can't create parts from scratch in the calculator or FP Designer. You have to get all your part data from POD. If you can't find the mfr. part number you are looking for on POD then I recommend you search for the Case Code. All you need is the correct component dimensions and you can change the FPX file Part Number and Logical Description and Datasheet link. If you can't find the Part Number or Case Code, you can request the Part for $9 (cheaper than you can manually build the part). And once you pay for a Part Request, that part becomes available for free download to every LE Pro user. If everyone contributes a little bit, soon every part will be available for free.

No one should be spending valuable time manually creating library parts or entering component dimensions into a Wizard.

We try hard to make library creation affordable, fast and customized user definable footprint features with User Preferences.

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 2:28am
Cheers Ian, Tom.

1) It still does not work for me, when logged in tells me I have 0 credits, is that because we are only a distributor? (means I can't show how it works.)

2) It's a web based download, is the intention for it to not be found via pcblibraries.com and the only access via the LE tool? (because that's what I'm saying above - there is no link via the website).

The idea that you "have" to run up the tool, after finding the dongle, waiting for it etc to just be able to search the catalog to see if a footprint exists, rather than simply go to www.pcblibraries.com and click on the link for POD parts seems backwards to me, I'd have a link up there along with the downloads, the forum, the sales pitches, help etc. is all I'm saying Wink

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 7:48am
There are 88 parts in SAMPLE FPX and every part in SAMPLE is on POD for free download for everyone.

So you can demonstrate how POD works with 88 Part Numbers.

Go for it.

Post Reply Post Reply