PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FPX Export to Mentor VX1.1 Crashing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jmeinert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FPX Export to Mentor VX1.1 Crashing
    Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:20am
When exporting the footprint data to VX 1.1 using Direct Import,  Library Expert Pro shuts down before the file completed the transfer.

I can see that I have the required two licenses requested to complete the transfer.

Direct Import was working until the afternoon of the 6/20. We did an upgrade to our license server to support Mentor

“FlexNet Licensing (v11.13.1.2 build 173302 i86_n3”.

I installed PCBLEP version 2016.07, but still not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:03am
Below is the information I have, and other people have tried this and it worked. Bear in mind you do need two licenses. Make sure you adjust the paths to your specific paths. Note: I *highly* suggest using the Encrypted ASCII method as its far easier than using DI, you don't need multiple licenses, and its very straightforward and clean. When they get around to fixing third-party DLL access to Expedition(bear in mind they've been aware of this for at least a year, so when that'll happen is anyone's guess), we'll promote the DI more. But Encrypted ASCII is the way to go in the current VX products for the best output.

---

Just right click on the Library expert icon and change the target to be:

C:\MentorGraphics\EEVX.1.1\SDD_HOME\common\win32\bin\mglaunch.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\PCB Libraries\Library Expert 2015\FPX_2015_Pro.exe"

Make sure mglaunch is in that spot of course or change the directory to your personal Expedition path. Then run the icon and run everything as normal and see if Direct Import into VX Expedition does its thing. Also make sure Run As Administrator is turned on.

What it should do is launch a shell program which exposes the LibraryManager of VX to the program so that it can interact with it.

jmeinert View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jmeinert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:56am
We had it working as well. The interface is now broken. My settings match the ones you sent.
The two programs are not interacting well. LE is closing and the MGC Library Manger remains open.
If I run with an administrator account an error message that my regular account has the PadstackDB.psk file reserved

Followed by an Error while attempting to interface with Expedition Library Manager.

As far as using Encrypted ASCII, it is just as easy to export out of LE, but getting the cell into the library is a two step process that requires more user interface (more apt to make a mistake). The files remain in the directory as well. Copy is the only option. Move would be better but not available. Creating a very large folder, making it harder to find the cell that is desired.
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:51pm
Your first window shows the export connected to Expedition properly. It either does or it doesn't. That type of error you only see if a proper connection has been made and it has moved on to translation. This is the right way you should be running it. The second shows an inability to connect, which is the wrong way.

That said, Expedition itself has multitasking locks. If you open up a padstack on a partition in a library on one computer, it locks it to that user until it is closed. That prevents all other versions of Expedition from modifying the library and that partition out from under the person that has locked the access.

First, make sure nobody else is trying to access that library and that partition. Is e34234 an actual user on a network node starting with MN07? That's pointing you to who has that partition open(and locked from being written to).

Second, make sure you go to the task manager and close any Expedition programs(i.e. cell editor) that are currently open and may be sitting in memory, but not visible on the taskbar.

Then try the translation. The program has to be able to access an unlocked padstack partition in order to function properly.
jmeinert View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmeinert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 4:58am
Problem resolved. Somehow the padstack file got reserved and even though I was the person that was trying to export files it went unrecognized. Solution was to un-reserve file through the Mentor Library Manager.
 Post Reply Post Reply