PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Footprint Error Pad-Pad clearance fail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wawaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footprint Error Pad-Pad clearance fail
    Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:54pm
Generating a footprint for a Vishay-Siliconix DG2722 Library fails to maintain the specified Pad to Pad clearance with the clearance rule set at 0.2mm. Between pads 1-10, 2-3, 5-6, 7-8  it delivers a clearance of only 0.14. To achieve the clearance, dimension S1 should have increased to 1.0mm.
Is this behaviour expected?
Have I missed something?
Bill
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:33am
I cannot find this part on www.pcblibraries.com/POD ;

The Vishay DG2722 datasheet - 

Indicates that the footprint requires a longer Pin 1 and therefore must be created in FP Designer using the mfr. recommended pattern

The Preferences > Rules > Minimum Pad to Pad is for Standard Calculated parts only and does not have anything to do with custom FP Designer footprints that use the mfr. recommended patterns. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
wawaus View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wawaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:48pm
Hi Tom,
I accept your comment about the Mfr recommended pattern, but that does not change the fact the calculated footprint Did Not maintain the clearance I specified between the end of one calculated pad and the side of another adjacent calculated pad.
Bill
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:53pm
I don't know how you created a QFN with a longer Pin 1 in the Calculator, it does not have that feature. 

Send us the FPX file for this Calculator part and your Preference .dat file so we can take a look. 

Never seen this issue in the past 15 years. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
wawaus View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wawaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:50pm
I did not create it with a longer pin 1, I created a symetrical footprint, but with a 0.2mm clearance requirement the corner pads are closer than the the clearance specified and there was no warning that the rule had been violated.

wawaus View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wawaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:53pm
I tried to add some screenshot snips but they appear not to have gone through.
 Post Reply Post Reply