PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padstack Drill Tolerance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Padstack Drill Tolerance
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm
Is there a way to set the default drill +/- tolerances on the through-hole padstacks that PCB Library Expert creates for OrCAD PCB version 17.2.048?  It's defaulting to zero.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:11pm
The current version of Library Expert does not have a Drill Tolerance feature. 

Mainly because only Cadence CAD tools supports that feature and all other 23 CAD tools do not. 

We'll take a look at this in future releases. 

V2019.04 is the current release. 

V2019.05 is scheduled for release the week of July 22. 

V2020 is scheduled for release before September 2 (Labor Day). At least in beta because it's a total rewrite of the UI. 

V2021 is scheduled to be released summer 2020 and will support schematic symbols and many new features as it is a 100% rewrite from scratch but will closely match the V2020 UI. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 5:04pm
The key here is where do you want the information to come from?

We have a Fabrication Tolerance setting. Is this usable as the allegro padstack tolerance setting? Or do you need something more? Are you looking for each padstack to have a tolerance, or will a global tolerance that you set(i.e. from a cell in the grid) work?
rrix View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 5:59pm
Default fabrication tolerance seems to be about 0.05 mm.  

I have some pad stacks at that setting, but my general standard is a +/- tolerance of 0.08 mm.

In Allegro, each pad stack has a positive and negative tolerance (they can even be different).

A global drill tolerance single value entry that populates the positive and negative drill tolerances each with that same number would work for about 90% of the pad stacks I'm creating, then if something else is needed, I can manually change it.
ransonjd View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ransonjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:31am
Altium has supported drill tolerances on holes since version 17.1 or possibly earlier. I also would appreciate this feature.

ransonjd View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ransonjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:34am
Altium doesn't require a tolerance, so I leave it unset and specify a default tolerance in my fabrication drawings for most holes. I would like if this could remain an option for Altium.
 Post Reply Post Reply