PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preferred layer (Altium) bottom side courtyard?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preferred layer (Altium) bottom side courtyard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhalleran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preferred layer (Altium) bottom side courtyard?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:14am
I wonder how Library Expert Pro determines what layer it should use for the Assembly Layer Designator (when I export for Altium, it's using Mechanical Layer 16). I see a file FPXFormatPreference.XML, and here's some layer info in it (all those layers are at bottom of this post)... is Library Expert Pro getting that from my Altium configuration?

Does that get updated automatically if I make some change to my default Altium layer mapping?

Is it a problem that I have "eMechical12" twice?
  THREED_TOP="eMechanical12"
  TERMINAL_TOP="eMechanical12"

Also, is there a preferred layer to use in Altium for the bottom side courtyard? Currently I have layer 15 top, 16 bottom (for courtyard)... but Library Expert pro uses layer 16 for the assembly designator... so I think I need to change Altium layer for bottom side courtyard. Currently when I flip a part to the bottom, the courtyard changes from 15 to 16, and the assy designator changes from 16 to 15 (not what I wanted).

Thanks,
Chris

ELECTRICAL_TOP="eTopLayer"
  ELECTRICAL_BOTTOM="eBottomLayer"
  SOLDERMASK_TOP="eTopSolder"
  SOLDERMASK_BOTTOM="eBottomSolder"
  PASTEMASK_TOP="eTopPaste"
  PASTEMASK_BOTTOM="eBottomPaste"
  SILKSCREEN_TOP="eTopOverlay"
  SILKSCREEN_BOTTOM="eBottomOverlay"
  ASSEMBLY_TOP="eMechanical11"
  ASSEMBLY_BOTTOM="eMechanical14"
  COURTYARD_TOP="eMechanical15"
  THREED_TOP="eMechanical12"
  TERMINAL_TOP="eMechanical12"
  THREED_MODEL="eMechanical13"
  SSRD="eMechanical16"
  SSRD2=""
  PK_TOP=""
  PK_BOTTOM=""
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:35am
You control the layer assignment by editing the layer number. 

Do not touch the script text "eMechanical". Just change the number. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
ckhalleran View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhalleran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 12:48pm
Thanks Tom... I'm also wondering what these two lines do:

PK_TOP=""

PK_BOTTOM=""

chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 1:16pm
Those are used to store the Placement Keepout mapping(both Top and Bottom). You should have them in the Translator Window layer mapping, below the Reference Designator layers. If you don't, you probably need to patch to the latest release.

Mapping both THREED_TOP and TERMINAL_TOP to the same layer should be fine.

Either way, the Format Preferences.xml file is simply the file we use to save and recover the Translator Window state. You should never have a reason to manually edit it.
 Post Reply Post Reply