PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setup Library Directory Does Not Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setup Library Directory Does Not Work
    Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 6:43pm
Setting Library Path in "Setup > User Preferences > Files > Library Directory" ,although you can change the directory name , the next time you load the program and type to load a library the previous directory is still displayed.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:36am

Only the default preferences are added in the install.  Console preferences are not and that would be where this preference resides.

The console library preference appears to work correctly, for me at least. 

That means I set a library I want to use as my default and read\write operation go there first.

However, for the future, I would back up all my FPX library files, uninstall all previous versions of PCB Footprint Expert and delete all PCB Libraries folders and do a clean fresh install with the new V2013.03 when it's released later today.
lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:45am

Maybe I did not explain this correctly.

I went to "Setup > Preferences > Files > Library Directory" and changed them from FPX 2013 to FPX 2012. When I open a library the directory is still displaying the 2013 directory and not 2012 as I just setup in "Setup > Preferences > Files > Library Directory".

Also, since you are recommending to do a fresh install and then move the older libraries to the new library directory, if you want to have all the same settings shouldn't you also move the dat files and then change the setup to point to those dat files?

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:55am
I'm saying that V2013 is going to be so radically different with many new features and updates to FPX files to add new component dimensions for 3D STEP model export and the new FPX format for the "Footprint Designer" feature that you might want to consider doing a fresh install and recreate your .dat preference files too.

If you don't want to do that then backup your .dat preference files and move them to the new installation folders too. There will be weekly updates to V2013 for the next 50 weeks.

You might consider refreshing your installation.

lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 6:58am
I will do that but you still have a bug in the software when you change the library directory path the software still goes to the old directory path.
Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 8:56am
Note that there are 3 file options in Setup.
The first is the default library that you want to save and retrieve parts.
The second is the default directory that you want to save libraries.
The 3rd is the template directory (not used by most people).
I think whats happening is that you're expecting the the default directory (the second option) to be selected when you go to open a file.  In fact, that directory is selected based on the path to the default library (the first option).
If you go to save a new library or save-as an existing library the path will be the default directory (the second option).
I checked out this functionality and appears to work properly as I've described.

lalexman View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalexman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 9:05am
Thanks Jeff.

Tom was  in error with his explanation.
I would really help us users if we had some sort of help like Pads Layout screens has to provide an explanation of how the options work.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply