PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FPX File Creation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FPX File Creation
    Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 2:23pm
When are the FPX files created/modified?

Is that only when the part is 'built'?

So with the free tool, no FPX files are written?

I am looking forward to having the Expedition export operating soon, so I am not especially worried, just curious...
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 4:01pm

Save FPX is the "Librarian" function and that sells for $199, however IPC will be giving that feature away with the purchase of the IPC-7351C standard.

If you purchase a CAD tool interface, the "Librarian" comes free.

Typically, you enter the component dimensions and "Save to FPX" in a "New" FPX file and then start entering the dimensions for another component and "Save to FPX". Continue to do that until all your library parts need for your design are in your FPX file.

Then select all the parts in your New FPX file and Batch Build all the parts and import all of them into your CAD tool.

Then after everything goes OK, you import your New FPX into your Master FPX file.

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 4:07pm
Ok thanks.

I have talked to Nick and given that the Encrypted HKP works for Expedition next week, I will be acquiring my full license Smile
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 4:20pm
We'll release V2012.27 this weekend for Expedition.

You can test it to see if it works next week. We spent a lot of time creating it, so if it doesn't work we'll all be set back. Or maybe we just need to tweak it.

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 4:32pm
It sounds like you are using a sensible approach so I expect that it will be ok.

I just hope that a selection of components can be dumped in a single pair of HKP files since importing each HKP pair one at a time is super painful! :)

chgraham View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 2:12pm

Hello, PCB Libraries, a few questions about this topic...

"Save FPX is the "Librarian" function and that sells for $199, however IPC will be giving that feature away with the purchase of the IPC-7351C standard".

Is the Librarian function currently provided with the purchase of the IPC-7351C standard?

In another thread a "vendor-neutral DLL" was referred to... what is the save/export/output data format produced by the PCB Footprint Expert - is it binary (actually in the form of a Windows DLL?), an XML format, or something else?

Finally, whatever the format, is the format specification available and usable for writing my own software that can take the FPX format data as input?

Thank-you.

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:24am
No, the Librarian is not provided with the IPC-7351 standard at this time. The current LP software they have is only IPC-7351B compliant. Our PCB Footprint Expert software is IPC-7351B and IPC-7351C (proposed) compliant that is scheduled for release next year.

If you are interested in integrating with the FPX files, please contact us offline and let us know what it is you would like to do so we get a better understanding of the scope of what you need and how we might work together.

Nick

Post Reply Post Reply