PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Courtyard Does Not Honor Mfr Recommended Footprint
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Courtyard Does Not Honor Mfr Recommended Footprint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Evenkeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courtyard Does Not Honor Mfr Recommended Footprint
    Posted: 14 May 2013 at 9:13am
Using 2012.52 on Win7 x64.

I went to create a new inductor from a CoilCraft datasheet.  I entered the dims and clicked OK.

Then I decided that I needed to use the mfr recommended footprint.  Made the changes per the datasheet, hit OK and noticed that the courtyard moved to reflect the new pad locations but it was now INSIDE the silk/assembly outlines.

I think this new courtyard would certainly cause issues when placing on a tight circuit board.

Thanks,
Billy
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:54am
Can you attach a web-link to the component package datahseet?

I looks as though you're using the wrong component family.

I cannot reproduce your error in the Molded Body component family.
Evenkeel View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evenkeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:32pm
No problem - http://www.coilcraft.com/pdf_viewer/showpdf.cfm?f=pdf_store:xal50xx.pdf

I was using the dimensions from the dash number -331 part.

So, starting with a new inductor and entering the dimensions shown on the first image should have produced a good courtyard.  However, when entering the numbers shown on the Footprint\Dimensions tab with the Use Mfr dimensions checked, you should have been able to see the courtyard restrict while the silk / assembly info remain the same.

Curious.

Billy
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:35pm
This Inductor is a 2-pin DFN (not a Molded Body)

Evenkeel View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evenkeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:39pm
Thanks ... so what key features do you look at to make that determination?  I never even considered a DFN as an inductor body style, associating it with ICs and maybe smaller two pin devices like diodes.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:01pm
You just need to be familiar with your component families and Lead Types.

I saw the component had terminals on the Bottom. That means it's a Flat No-Lead QFN, SON, DFN, etc.

I'll be relocating this post to the Q&A forum.

Evenkeel View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evenkeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:01pm
Thanks, Tom!
 Post Reply Post Reply