PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trim Pad Under Component Feature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dipakdesai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trim Pad Under Component Feature
    Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 7:27pm
Hi
I see a big difference between PCB Footprint Expert 2012.21 and LP Calculator see below I understand there is a small difference but this is big. Does anyone else see this.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 8:24pm
Is it the Component Rotation or the JEDEC Dimensions or the program Header? 

jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 12:26am
I think perhaps dipakdesai has spotted the Y dimension difference because FPX uses IPC-7351C with no pad triming on the pad.
dipakdesai View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dipakdesai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 8:41am
It is the Y (L in New) dimension

Thanks
Dipak
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 12:13pm
Dipak,

Download the Power Point presentation that describes the upcoming changes for IPC-7351C.

It's called "PCB Optimization Starts in the CAD Library" -

Slide 16 explains that pad trimming is not an IPC standard and that the pad should extend under the component body.

However, you can still "Trim Pads" in the Footprint Expert if you want to. i.e.: The "Trim Pad" feature is still there, the component stand-off default value is set to zero "0".

If you want to turn on the "Trim Pad" featurre go to "Setup > User Preferences > Setup > Rules > Minimum Trim Stand-off Height > Value". Set the "Value" to whatever component body stand-off you need to start trimming pads from under the component.

Post Reply Post Reply