PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 Differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ransonjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021 Differences
    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:30am
I'm about to start using 2021 instead of 2020. In previous major upgrades, I would generate a new preferences file, diff it with my previous preference file, and copy over anything from the old version that I wanted to keep. However, the new options file uses a different format, so I can't compare my old preferences to the new options.

So, can you summarize what has changed between the default preferences for 2020 and the default options for 2021?

If I use an FPX from 2020 and generate a footprint in 2021, am I going to see changes in the output?

Thanks,

John
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:39am
The V2021 is the future for all updates and new features. 

V2021 was rewritten 100% from scratch and has a new user friendly interface. 

The Options are much more User Friendly. Save your .opt file and edit your Options. 

Use the Translator (2021 FPX File Converter.exe) in the main installation folder to translate your old FPX file to the new V2021 format. 

The latest release in V2021.08 pre-release. And there will be another update later today or tomorrow. 

Print out Page 2 of Chapter 5 user guide. It will help you with learning the new toolbar icons. 

The User Guide is in the installation /documents folder. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
ransonjd View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ransonjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:39am
As an additional specific question. In 2020 I changed the default fab tolerance to 2500 (from 5000), but otherwise mostly kept the default settings. What changes, if any, would be needed in 2021 to achieve the same output?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:42am
There is an IPC-7351C .opt file that turns off manufacturing tolerances and changes all negative solder joint goals to 0.00. 

But you can do whatever you think is best. 

ransonjd View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ransonjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:47am
Oh, fabrication and placement tolerances are global now. I was looking for them in the wrong spot.

Have the default solder goals and courtyard sizes changed at all between 2020 and 2021?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:49am
Yes, they are now in the Tools > Options > Pad Stack Rules. 

Much easier to edit now. 

Post Reply Post Reply