PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ver 2021.01 & 3D models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Regin_EDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ver 2021.01 & 3D models
    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:14pm
Hi, 

We started to use the free beta version of LE Pro ver 2021.01 just recently and wonder about the 3D models. 

Is the 3D model no longer available when creating footprint?

Seems a bit strange since it can be set in the component data. 

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:47am
In the newly released V2021.01 Footprint Expert Pro, the 3D STEP feature works for BGA's. 

The new V2021 took us 1.5 years to create and the Pro version has every feature turned on (except 3D STEP). 
  • Options to globally set your personal preferences for every feature in a footpint
  • Library Editor to save all your package dimensions
  • Batch Build to allow you to create 100's on footprints with a single click
  • FP Designer for creating non-standard footprints like connectors
3D STEP is now free but we require a $299 yearly maintenance fee to get all the updates. There will be a lot of updates as V2021 is brand new. 

V2021 Footprint Expert Pro will fully support these 12 CAD tools: 

1. CADint
  2. DesignSpark
  3. DipTrace
  4. Eagle
  5. KiCad
  6. Pantheon
  7. Proteus
  8. Pulsonix
  9. McCAD
  10. SoloPCB
  11. Target 3001!
  12. Ultiboard
All other CAD tools for Cadence, Mentor, Zuken and Altium require a yearly maintenance fee to get all the updates. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Regin_EDA View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Regin_EDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 12:04am
Hi Tom,
I'm still a bit confused what to do here if I want to have 3D models attached to a created standard footprint.

Little background to explain a bit first: 
We switched to Altium Designer for about 5 years ago and at the same time we started to use your free SW products to build footprints with (we had another account here back then). 
We made standard footprints with the Lite versions (example ver 2017.22) where 3D models could be attached for all types. When more complex footprints were needed we ordered them as POD or made them in the Pro version and then attached 3D models afterwards.

Everything worked ok for us.
Then suddenly the Lite version stopped working , stating it can't find your server.

So if I understand it correct the only free program left now you offer to us making footprints in is the Footprint Expert Pro? That would be ok if the possibility for getting 3D models to all types excisted, but it doesn't -or am I wrong?

Even if we pay for a yearly subscription we do not get the possibility to have 3D models to all types, is that correct?

If so, will the possibility come soon with an update for Pro?
If not, could it be possible to get the old Lite version back on track again, as a payed version?

//Magnus
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 5:16am
Hi, Regin. The free editions of the Footprint Expert:

If you pay maintenance for Altium ($299) and 3D STEP ($299) - see link below - you get the full Enterprise Edition for Altium and 3D STEP - much more than the free Pro. This works out much better for you; you can take parts you currently request via POD Part Request, and EDIT them (modify pins, etc) -- something you cannot do with the Builder nor Pro.

jriesen View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jriesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 2:02am
Hi,

I wouldn't call a $299/year ($598 with Altium) licence as "Free".

I'm sorry about this regression, the Step Model Generator was the main reason for using PCB Expert Pro.

I'm really not sure to manage to get a budget for this new fee, so I'm afraid I'll have to rely on Altium's Footprint/Step generator.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:52am
There is a simple option for you to choose from to get 25 CAD tools and 3D STEP software for free. 

It's called Footprint Expert POD. You need to purchase a POD subscription for $120 a year to access 3 million parts. 

You become POD dependent and any part that you cannot find on POD you can order it for $7. We create it and put it on POD for everyone else for free download. 

There is also a version of Footprint Expert Pro Calculator. 

The new V2021 Footprint Expert Pro is free, but we need the yearly maintenance for programming payroll expenses to keep all the updates coming. 

n the V2021 Footprint Expert Pro, there is an option for "Librarian / Calculator". It has all the features except a CAD tool interface. 

There is a back door to Altium for footprints. 

If you use PADS Standard or if your CAD tool (Altium) can import PADS p/d ASCII files (which most CAD tools can), select these Free CAD tool interfaces that have a PADS Standard export: 
  • DipTrace outputs PADS V9.3 p/d and ASCII
  • Proteus outputs PADS V9.5 p/d and ASCII
  • Pulsonix (PADS) outputs PADS V9.3 p/d and ASCII
There are a couple options for Cadence, Mentor and Altium users. 

Post Reply Post Reply