PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Install POD and Pro version?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Install POD and Pro version?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 2:46am
I am a little confused by the versions, so apologies if this has been asked before...

I am looking at using PCB libraries software to create footprints for primarily Altium v20, for which I'd like to be able to build parts and also use the POD service as a kind of mix and match.

I think I therefore need to download the Builder and Pro versions, but can both be installed on the same machine?  If so, can I just copy the preference file from one to the other?

The Enterprise version seems to be a combined Builder and Pro version, with an initial purchase cost for exporting to Altium (presume it's locked to a specific CAD package?).  
Plus an additional annual maintenance fee (can't find that)
Plus an additional POD Subscription fee per year for access to footprints in your library via POD.

Have I got this right?
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:22am
This table should help:

The free versions and the Enterprise install in separate directories, so it's possible to have them both on the same machine. Each output is licensed separately in the Enterprise version.

The "Annual Maintenance" and the "POD Subscription" fees are linked to from the main page, on each product page, and the top navigation menu of the site (you need to leave the forum), under "Library Expert".

If you have further questions, let me know and we can discuss offline.
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
JCurtis View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:35am
Thanks, so it looks like my mix and match will work OK.

Can the preferences file from one version be copied to the other?

I take it with Enterprise, POD Subscription is the fixed price per year capped at 500/month, and that no POD credit style option is available?

Last question, does Enterprise maintenance need start from day one or at the end of the 1st year?

If preferred, please drop me an e-mail to discuss (address as used on the forum).

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:45am
Library Expert Pro is a free limited version and does not have access to Preferences, Batch Build, FP Designer for connectors and custom parts or the ability to save any component package dimensions in the Library Editor. 

Library Expert POD Builder has all the features except you cannot edit the data and resave it to FPX. If you find a problem you report it and we fix it and you redownload the updated data. 

With POD Builder you can edit Preferences, Batch Build, open FPX files and save all you part data incase you change your preferences and want to rebuild a new library. 

You can purchase POD Credits for $50 or 1 year access to POD for $300 that allows you to download up to 500 parts a month for a year. 

Next week we start giving away the full featured Library Expert Enterprise for just the cost of yearly maintenance. For Altium it's $299 for a 1-year lease. 

You can also purchase POD Credits or a POD Subscription with LE Enterprise. 

JCurtis View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
Oh, that's interesting, thanks for the heads up!
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
You can also purchase a POD Subscription with these options - 

Monthly Downloads

Cost of Part Per Mo

POD Sub Annual Cost

POD Sub Monthly Cost

Up to 500

$0.05

$300

$25

Up to 250

$0.08

$240

$20

Up to 100

$0.10

$120

$10

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:56am
Tip: If you purchase a year lease license for $299 and get the full featured LE Enterprise, you can use the LE Pro to build all your 3D STEP models for free. 

All the software installs into separate folders so you can use all versions simultaneously. 

Or you can Lease 3D STEP for a year for $299 and automatically create Altium footprints with 3D STEP together. 

Lease LE Enterprise for 1-year for Altium $299 & 3D STEP $299 and POD Subscription for $120 to download 100 parts a month. Total cost = $718 a year. 

JCurtis View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Tom H Tom H wrote:

Next week we start giving away the full featured Library Expert Enterprise for just the cost of yearly maintenance. For Altium it's $299 for a 1-year lease. 

You can also purchase POD Credits or a POD Subscription with LE Enterprise.

Is this on the website or by request?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:30am
We'll be announcing the new Cloud License for the purpose of Leasing the Full Featured Library Expert Enterprise at affordable price points next week. 

Certainly before February 1, there will be - 
  1. Lease Landing Page that describes everything 
  2. Banner Ads in LE Pro that link to the Lease Landing Page
  3. Newsletters that introduce the new Cloud License for Leasing LE Enterprise
We need to make another announcement that we are very excited about. 

V2020 is a 100% rewrite of the code and the UI. It is a major improvement to everything that we've ever created and the Calculator portion will be released in Beta in early February. 

All Library Expert Enterprise users will have access to the V2020 Beta release. The FPX file format is identical to V2019 to allow you to create data In V2020 that can be read by V2019 and visa versa. 

cioma View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cioma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:41am
Hi Tom,

Could you please give an update on Cloud License availability, I'd very much like to switch to it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>