PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solder paste size for Least

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcayen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solder paste size for Least
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 5:21am
Hi, We usually use the "least" setting when we generate our footprints.  The solder paste size is the same as the pad size. 

My assembly team is telling me that there is too much solder on the pads and that we should reduce the size of the aperture for the solder past screen.  

The problem is more obvious for QFN parts.  When using the "least" setting the it looks like the toe is just too short and the solder creates a bubble shaped contact instead of a nice fillet.

My question is, does the IPC standard say anything about solder past aperture for QFN when using the least setting?

Thanks,
Dominic
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:03am
The IPC-7093A (unreleased and in progress at this time) has lots of guidance on QFN assembly. 

I'm on that IPC committee and we're looking at releasing it this summer. 

Also, I have noticed in Texas Instruments recommended patterns for micro-miniature packages that the paste mask is reduced but the solder mask is also reduced to make the pad stack "Solder Mask Defined" - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlv713p.pdf ;

But less solder can also be achieved by thinning the paste mask stencil where small aperture openings are. 

We are going through a learning curve with small pad sizes and paste mask reduction. Some companies globally reduce the paste mask by 10% on all SMD pads. But if you are using Library Expert V2018 you will need to use the Calculator to auto-generate the QFN land pattern and then move it to FP Designer to edit the pad stack paste mask size and then save to FPX and output to your CAD tool. 

I always use the recommendation of the assembly shop as they are ultimately responsible for the end product reliability. 

Neither the IPC-7351 or the IPC-J-STD-001 have any guidance on paste mask reduction for QFN packages. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply