PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Libraries > Footprints / Land Patterns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Pad Chips With Different Lead Length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goaaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Pad Chips With Different Lead Length
    Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 6:12pm
Per IPC 7351B I am able to reproduce the PcbLibrary Expert footprint calculations when smt components have leads with the same length. However, I am unable to do the same with components that have different lead lengths.

I.E. the "T" value in the drawing below are different and have different tolerances on either side of the component:

I'm following the calculations in IPC-7351B and am unable to reproduce the calculated Gref value nor the correct length for the two pads. 

IPC derives the interior separation between pads with the equation:

I've tried swapping out the all references to 2* Tmax with the sum of T1Max/T2max (the same for 2 Tmin) and Ttol with (T1max + T2max - T1max -T2max), but can't reproduce the calculator's results.

Could someone clarify how it is done? 
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 7:00pm
You need to download the IPC-7351 Reference Calculator -

The Excel spreadsheet will explain the IPC-7351 mathematical model which includes the Package, Lead, Assembly, and Fabrication tolerances prior to adding the Toe, Heel and Side solder joint goals.

Or if you have LE Pro, it's in this folder on your computer -
C:\Program Files (x86)\PCB Libraries\Library Expert 2016\Documents

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply