PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Courtyards for Inch 0402, Metric 1005, in 2014.06
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Courtyards for Inch 0402, Metric 1005, in 2014.06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courtyards for Inch 0402, Metric 1005, in 2014.06
    Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 2:24am
The list of changes for 2014.06 includes:

• Updated Toe Solder Joint Goals for Chip component less than 1.6 mm in length per the upcoming IPC-7351C
    • 0402 Toe is now set to 0.15 mm
    • 0201 Toe is now set to 0.12 mm
    • 01005 Toe is now set to 0.10 mm
I noticed though that the courtyard excess calculation has also changed for these components, so that the courtyard excess is now 0.12 mm, Least; 0.25 mm, nominal; 0.50 mm Most now for these components rather than 2014.05's previousl settings of 0.12 mm, Least; 0.15 mm, Nominal; 0.20 mm Most.

I take it this is an intentional change?

I rather got used to the reduced courtyards on 2014.05 and below.  What was the feedback from the IPC committee on the courtyards?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 8:56am

The courtyard excess change from 0.15 mm to 0.25 mm was a programming mistake and it is being fixed right now in a V2014.06 sneak release that will be posted soon. Great catch! And thanks for reporting this typo.

The important update was that the original "Toe" goal was 0.20 mm for all parts less than 1.6 mm length.

IPC is drafting a new standard that replaces IPC-CM-770E called IPC-7070 Component Mounting Issues and Recommendations of which I am the co-chairperson.

I was at IPC headquarters the week of July 14 with Dieter Bergman and I locked in a conference room for 3 days rewriting from scratch the IPC-7351C Land and Pad Pattern Development Issues and Recommendations and teleconferencing daily with the chairperson of the IPC-7070 in Berlin Germany.

Out of that committee meeting, the most significant change was to address tomb-stoning of micro-miniature chip components less than 1.6 mm length. The 0.20 mm Toe was too robust for the 0402 and the 0201 is 50% smaller and the 01005 is 50% smaller again. So we first had to develop an acceptable Toe goal for the 0402 and the 0.15 mm Toe value was accepted. Then we had to figure out what would be the minimum Toe for any package regardless of it's size and that value was set at 0.10 mm for the 01005 package. Then the 0201 was set in the middle at 0.12 mm Toe.

Thinning the paste mask stencil is also required but that information will reside in the new IPC-7070.

Any data in the existing IPC-7351 pertaining to assembly attachment is being relocated in the IPC-7070 standard and the two new documents refer back and forth to each other.

I should also note that the IPC-7251 for through-hole technology is being added to the IPC-7351C so there will only be a single standard for all Land Pattern Guidelines for SMD (Surface Mounted Device), IMD (Inserted Mounted Device) and UMD (Unpackaged Mounted Die).

PCB Libraries, Inc. prides itself in implementing the latest technology into our tools as fast as possible rather than waiting for the standards release date, which will not happen for another year due to all the upcoming committee meetings at SMTA in Chicago, IL, APEX in San Diego, CA and the necessary committee approvals that need to be reviewed and signed off by unanimous vote.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 3:25pm

We did a V2014.06 sneak release that fixed the courtyards for the micro-mini Chips.

If you do not see these changes in your User Preference file then select the button "Restore User Defaults".

Fixed in V2014.06 Sneak Release:

• When selecting rows in a FPX file to Build Library, the program froze

• The Micro Chip component courtyard was accidentally changed from 0.15 mm to 0.25 mm

• Right clicking on the FPXC Viewer no longer crashes it

• Stencil pattern no longer shrinks the trim

• Extents for micro parts expanded in Viewer to include polarity dot

• Preferences for micro DFN & CHIPS updated

• If you don’t see this remove or update your preference files

jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 8:23am
Thanks, the sneak release has the courtyard set correctly to 0.15 mm for NOMINAL for these chip components, however I noticed that it is also 0.15 mm when you change the environment to MOST and LEAST rather then changing to 0.20 mm (M) or 0.12 mm (L).

Also the PADS ascii outputs are different from before for the courtyard.

In 2014.05 for Nominal, distance from pad edge to centre of courtyard line is 0.15 mm, courtyard line width is 0.05 mm (default setting), distance from pad edge to first edge of courtyard line is therefore 0.125 mm.

In 2014.06 Sneak Release for Nominal, distance from pad edge to centre of courtyard line is 0.18 mm, courtyard line width is 0.05mm (default setting), distance from pad edge to first edge of courtyard line is therefore 0.16 mm.

I am guessing that the software is now compensating the courtyard line so that the inner edge is at the 0.15 mm rather than the centre of the line, and that it's rounding outwards to suit a particular grid with 2 decimal places.

I did restore user defaults, and courtyard place round is 0.01.

Can you confirm if this is now correct to standard with the PADS ascii output?

Thanks for the background.  The micro chip components are the ones I like to update when I see things have changed because these can cause the most issues with PCB assemblers.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 9:18am

The courtyard is getting nudged by the silkscreen outline. The center of the silkscreen outline must be smaller than the center of the courtyard outline.

If you changed the silkscreen line width and pad to silkscreen value, the courtyard would come in closer.

Our policy is that silkscreen outlines can't be outside the placement courtyard.

For these micro-miniature parts, IPC does not want a silkscreen but we still add one.

Also, for these micro-miniature parts, there is no Least or Most environments (or rather all 3 environments are the same). There has to be a very controlled amount of solder for these 3 unique packages or assembly is compromised.

jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 9:20am
Thanks for the explanation.  Clears everything up.
 Post Reply Post Reply