PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

macOS or Linux users?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rmozel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: macOS or Linux users?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 1:44am
Hi,

I have just attempted to execute the application on a linux system using Wine but without success.

Is there any other users whom are able to use it on a linux or macOS?

Regards,
Renan
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 5:02am
You should be able to run the Library Expert on a Linux box using Wine. We have several customers that I'm aware of that run the Professional version successfully (for production) in this environment. What version of the Library Expert are you using, and what error message do you get (if any)? Our support for Linux is very limited at this time, but perhaps we can offer some insight or feedback - whether us or one of the other users.
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
rmozel View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rmozel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:33pm
This was my first serious Wine usage and I'd made some basic mistakes when installing required Windows components.

I have followed the suggestion in the WineHQ AppDB and used winetricks to install Microsoft .NET 4.6.2 (and corefonts). The app performs reasonably well on both Ubuntu 17.04 and macOS, now.

Thanks a lot for your support.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you're all set.

If you can provide any feedback or guidance/help for others, it would be much appreciated!!
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
montemcguire View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote montemcguire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:00pm
Just as another data point, I successfully run PCB Library Expert with VMware Fusion under MacOS, and have not had any issues whatsoever. I keep all of my FPX files on MacOS volumes, shared with the VMware Windows host, and this too works flawlessly. So, this is another option available to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply