PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KiCad Footprints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marbeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KiCad Footprints
    Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 3:45am
Hi,

Thank you very much for the KiCAD interface  Thumbs Up

One thing though. When I make the footprint in Library Expert and import it to KiCAD (64-bit version 4.0.1) the footprint is a mirror image.

I hope this will be fixed in the next version.

Thank You

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 7:57am
We fixed this issue in yesterdays V2016.02 pre-release here - www.pcblibraries.com/downloads

If you need the Lite version, it will be released late next week.

Every known bug is fixed in every new release.

New releases got out every 2 - 3 weeks.

Please let us know if there are any other issues.

Thanks!
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
xzcvczx View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xzcvczx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:28am
Hi,

I tried out the 2016.02 release for use with kicad and ran into a couple of issues, whether this is due to something i have done wrong i am unsure.

I generated a QFN footprint. using least settings. The generated footprint only used a single pad for the thermal pad, and lacked solder paste, With kicad patterned solder paste is unfortunately not an option yet, However a common work around is to pattern pads on. For example with a QFN-32 4 seperate pads are used each with solder paste. This can be seen in the libraries that come with kicad if you would like to see an example.

However the bigger issue i found was that there was no pin1 indicator on the generated footprint, again i might have missed where this option needs to be enabled.

Is there a way in the new library expert lite to be able to see the footprint (including non-copper layers) and its measurements or is the only interface available generating footprints?

thanks
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:57am
I managed to pull up a QFN-32 and can see the pattern that is being used. I should be able to get the pastemask checkerboard in there using this setup. It may be very limited in the parts it can help to start. There are some parts like a rounded/chamfered thermal tab that i'm not sure it'll adapt properly to. I can certainly get vanilla QFP style parts with a squared up thermal tab to use it though. I'll see how far I can take it.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 2:14pm
For the Pin 1 Polarity Marker, you get to pick the shape, size and location from these styles -

Watch this short video -

Same thing goes for Keep-outs.

chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 6:19pm
Two questions.

* Is Solder_Paste_Margin_Ratio equal to the difference of the copper area of the pad being specified and the solder paste, divided by the overall copper area? In the negative, of course. That's what i'm currently using for the ratio.

* Is it ok in KiCAD to have both pads which denote checkerboard paste, along with an overall pad that can 'fill in the blanks' of the overall copper, while excluding pastemask for that pad so the checkerboard paste takes over? I would need to do something akin to this for Rectangles, as they aren't centered to the exact quadrant like squares are.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 5:07pm
The updated V2016.03 prerelease is available - www.pcblibraries.com/downloads
 Post Reply Post Reply