PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Library Expert Lite + 3D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PLTcbv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Library Expert Lite + 3D
    Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 2:28am
How can I create 3D models with Library Lite version?
If I look in the Library Expert - Version Comparison http://www.pcblibraries.com/products/compare/
I see under the Lite tab "Automation of 3D STEP Models".
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 6:26am
3D STEP is sold as a separate interface but it is available for free with the "POD Builder". But then you have to purchase all your parts for $1 from Parts On Demand - www.pcblibraries.com/POD

The Comparison Table showing "Automation of 3D STEP Models" in Lite is a typo and will be fixed today.
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
wheels1234 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheels1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 7:37am
For the Pro version is says"Automation of 3D STEP Models" What does this mean? I see there is a  separate interface for 3D step. What are the differences? 
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:00am
Automation = auto-generated per the component dimensions in the calculator.

You can insert an infinite number of component dimensions into any component family calculator and the 3D STEP model will reflect those exact dimensions. It's totally unlimited.

Another part of the automation is that the Footprint and 3D model are created and imported simultaneously with the Library Expert Pro. i.e.: if you use Lite and 3D STEP, they are separate programs and you have to manually import the 3D STEP separately.

Some people use Library Expert Lite for free and just purchase the 3D STEP module for 3D model creation.

A couple of years ago, 3D modeling of electronic components was eye candy and most people did not have a mandatory need for it. But more and more today, 3D modeling is becoming a company / customer requirement and the MCAD teams are requiring all PCB layouts to have 3D modeling so they can render the board in the enclosure to quality control the form and the fit prior to manufacturing.

In the near future, 3D modeling will be prevalent and mandatory through-out the electronics industry. Those who do not use this automated feature will be left behind.

wheels1234 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheels1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:10am
With Pro 2014 Step was a separate purchase. Correct? With 2015 it is included. Correct me if I am wrong. With Mentor PADS implementing Step in December we are very interested in this now. We are on Pro 2014 now and are wondering if we should now upgrade to 2015 or 2016?
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:28am
The licenses for each output is sold separately. Let's discuss your upgrade options offline.
 Post Reply Post Reply