PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silkscreen width

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julien.meilhac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silkscreen width
    Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:02am
Hello,

In your components library, what thickness of silkscreen line you use ?

In my actual components library I use 0.2mm but in the IPC 7351C, the nominal silkscreen line width is 0.12mm.

Can you give me some advice ?

Thanks,

Julien
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:12am

You can set the silkscreen line width and clearance value to whatever you want.

PCB Libraries doesn't sell CAD libraries, we sell FPX files with component dimensions.

Every User defines their own pad shapes, rules, drafting line widths, zero rotations (pin 1 location), solder mask swell and many more user settings.

The reason why IPC uses 0.12 mm (5 mil) is because the "Nominal" courtyard excess in 0.25 mm (10 mil) and if the line width and clearance are 0.12 mm the silkscreen doesn't push the courtyard excess out.

If your silkscreen outline line width and spacing in 0.20 mm (8 mils) then your placement courtyard will be pushed out 0.40 mm (16 mils).

The silkscreen should stay inside the placement courtyard excess.

Do you think we should add a new User Preference for "Allow Silkscreen Outside Courtyard"? Then the placement courtyard rule would override the Silkscreen Rule.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
julien.meilhac View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julien.meilhac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:32am
Thanks for your reply,

I prefer use the nominal IPC7351C width, but all manufacturer are they able to manufacture this silkscreen width (0.12mm) ?

thanks,

Julien
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 8:52am

Most PCB Fabrication shops now use Ink Jet Printers to apply the silkscreen and it's very accurate.

Buy using corn hatch marks and thin lines saves Ink Cartridges.

But it's a User Preference. I talk to many companies and they are using the IPC default to achieve the highest packing density in their part placement.

New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julien.meilhac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 5:25am
Thanks for your reply.

I have an other question.

On the library expert viewer software, for the footprint of the chip resistor "RESC1608X55" and on a most footprints, the solder mask and the land (pad) have the same dimension, why ?

Best regards
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 8:25am
What FPX file are you Viewing?

The Library Expert Viewer is used by our LE Pro customers to share their personal library data and rules file with co-workers and customers. That's all it's used for, to allow others to freely View your personal library data.

New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julien.meilhac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 8:28am
I use the Sample.fpx
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 8:42am
OK, I see what you are doing now.

The IPC-7351 format is to have the Pad and Masks 1:1 scale of each other and then allow the User to control the Paste Mask reduction and the Solder Mask to whatever values your company has set up.

Solder Mask is a Preference setting and every User creates a custom Preference file with the Mask swell of their choice.

The only thing the FPX file has is:
  1. Component Dimensions (for the IPC Calculators)
  2. Mfr. Recommended Pattern (for the FP Designer unique parts)

There are several hundred rules in Preferences to allow every user the opportunity to create the footprint that meets your personal corporate guidelines. Pad Shapes, Drafting Line Widths, Clearances, Solder Joint Goals, Masks, Origins, Rotations and on and on are in the Preferences file.

And in V2016, there will be more Preference rules.
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julien.meilhac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 12:09am
Thank yofor your explanations.

Regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply