PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concave Modules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Clemmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concave Modules
    Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:31am
Please add more pins for 'Side Concave Package'

Note this module has 18 pins. 

The current version does not support more than 16 pins for any of the concave packages.

Also consider adding 'modules' to the 'Side Concave Package' family.

Thank you
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:27pm

We decided to add a new component family for the .05 release called "Castellated Leads, 2 Sided" and allow the user to enter as many pins as needed.

The Side Concave Chip Array was intended for Resistor Networks (not GPS Modules).

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Randy Clemmons View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Clemmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 3:30pm
cool !

Thank you
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 6:11pm

We need help in defining the various "Component Families" that fall into this group "Castellated Leads, 2 Sided".

So far we have "GPS" and we're not sure if that's a component family.

Any others that we can add to the drop-down menu bar?

Trying to keep things Standardized but it's getting difficult with today's technology.

jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:36am
We use a few of these types of modules as well for different functions: GPS, wireless, fieldbus.

I suspect the list would be endless as the companies providing these type of modules can dream up new functions and it's something I've looked at doing something similar here.

I'd be happy with a calculator for a "standard" family but leave the naming to be a little more generic with Manufacturer_Manufacturer's-Part-Number.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:16am
The IPC Castellated Lead package is LCC. But LCC has 4 sides.

So we're going to add a new component family called LCC 2-sided.

In V2014.05 there will be -

• LCC 4-Sided
  • LCC 2-Sided

Then we don't need to define every component family that falls into this category and the "Physical Description" will differentiate between 2 & 4 sided versions.

I hope this is satisfactory to the users because we're doing this without approval from IPC. 

However, I will discuss this new 2-Sided LCC issue next month when the IPC-7351 Land Pattern committee leaders meet at IPC headquarters in Bannockburn, IL to review the status of adding through-hole technology to the standard as well as Drafting Outline and Polarity Marking guidelines for the "C" revision.

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Clemmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:26am
Hello Tom,

Your proposed LCC scheme will work fine for my needs.

Thank you

jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:55am
Sounds good.  I think most module manufacturers provide a recommended footprint layout anyway.  Certainly all the ones that we use have done this and it was only Randy's thread that piqued my interest here.

We usually end up doing a small daughter board to host the module on with our own connector on to make switching between different manufacturers' modules easier without changing the main boards of our products.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 8:58am

There is no mfr. recommended footprint for this 2-Sided LCC Module -

http://www.telit.com/telit/Pulsar/en_US.Store.display.1103./jupiter-sl871 

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Clemmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 9:14am
Hi Tom,

Correct, there is no recommended land pattern, only a mechanical dwg on sheet 29 at this link:

No recommended land pattern is why I was keen on using the Library Expert to create the part from the component's mech dwg.

I can dig up some suggested land patterns for other modules if your trying to determine a good solution for castellated modules in general.

Randy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>