PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miscellaneous Questions and Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miscellaneous Questions and Suggestions
    Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 6:02pm
  1. Can't delete multiple rows with right click when many are selected.  Have to use edit  > delete
  2. 'Import' icon text should be called "Add to Library" instead.  The term import is very ambiguous.  Depends on which side of the horizontal line you are on.
  3. Browse for folder always places the window such that I cannot reach the new folder or the ok button without moving it up.  Is that me, my display or a software bug?
  4. When I go to create the footprint, there are two prompts for library name, and one for part type name that I cannot fill in.  What is the difference between create, restore etc?  Needs hovering help on all items on the Create Footprint page.  I have not found the help on that yet.
  5. PCB Libs often hangs when I do a create, or a create and close.  I have to shut it down with the task manager.  No idea why.
  6. Needs an automatic release of the licenses on exit for use with shared licenses on a network license server.
  7. I cannot edit the path to the Library Directory or the default library without browsing to it.
  8. There is no library close without saving on the menu.  It seems to be implicit in other operations.  Better to be explicit.
  9. It does not show me what library is open when I have the library view alone with no parts creation going on.  I need to see that before I save or doing any line item deletes.
  10. I have to keep changing the Output Directory name in Create Footprint.  Where is the default setting for that if I do not want it to go to the PADS library directory?  I just want to see if the files are being created right without opening.
  11. How do I unselect a library row once I select it.
  12. Is the difference between l, p, d vs ln/ld, pt, pd just a name change across PADS generations?  I see both in my Mentor directory.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 2:46am

Lots of feedback, thanks!

I will let the others respond, but will take the Licensing one -

Quote Needs an automatic release of the licenses on exit for use with shared licenses on a network license server.

The Network License Manager releases network-checked out licenses after the program is closed on machines that have it checked out. To monitor status, go to the Admin Control Center and see who is logged in by selecting "Sessions" from the panel on the left. From the server, you should also have the option to "boot" licenses off the server and make room for others to check in. But if this is the case, it may be time to upgrade to more users.  Wink

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 7:23am

Thanks Nick,  

When I restart the program after exiting, it seems to remember the last license options I had checked.

So if I understand you, that will not hurt anything as long as they do exit.  

It would still be helpful to have a way to clear all options but librarian when they exit.  That way when they restart they do not automatically hog everything they were last using (and may have forgot to clear).

Steve
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 9:36am

You really need a one hour free webcast training that will answer most of your questions. The suggestions were sent to the software programmers.

1. Can't delete multiple rows with right click when many are selected.  Have to use edit  > delete

In the Library Editor, if you select the Gray Rectangle Box to the left of the footprint name it will highlight the Row. If you click and drag or CTRL Click or Click scroll and Shift Click on the Gray Boxes you can select multiple Rows.

Then you can Right Mouse Button on any of the selected Gray Boxes and select "Delete > Row".

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 9:54am

12. Is the difference between l, p, d vs ln/ld, pt, pd just a name change across PADS generations?  I see both in my Mentor directory.

PADS has 4 pieces to their library which are Binary Format -

1. PD = Part Decal - this is the Lines, Text and Pads of the Footprint
  2. PT = Part Type - this has the attributes that tie the schematic symbol and decal together
  3. LD = Logical Decal - this is the Lines and Text of the schematic symbol
  4. LN = 2D Lines - you can save 2D lines to a library (such as logo's, title blocks, charts, etc.)

The ASCII Format of these 4 pieces are -

1. .d = PD - Part Decal (Footprint)
  2. .p = PT - Part Type (Attributes)
  3. .l = LD - Logical Decal (Schematic Symbol)

In the V2014 release, we will introduce a PADS Library Translator that will allow the Pro Version User to import a PADS .d & .p file and export to any other CAD tool.

This feature is intended for really complex unique footprints that can be built in PADS Layout Library Editor and then translated to 20 CAD tool formats. This will reduce duplication of effort as the "Parts on Demand" (POD) website will have thousands of unique footprints available in PADS .d & .p format.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 10:01am

7. I cannot edit the path to the Library Directory or the default library without browsing to it.

Open User Preferences and select the "Files" tab. Make sure that you create your own personal "MyUserPreferences.dat" and avoid making changes to "UserPreferences.dat" (which is the IPC default).

There you can use the ... box to browse to your Favorite FPX library file and your Default Library Directory on your computer or network -

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:36am

2. 'Import' icon text should be called "Add to Library" instead.  The term import is very ambiguous.  Depends on which side of the horizontal line you are on.

OK, we'll change that.

We're sending out our 1st Newsletter soon and it has a link to a customer POLL to allow users to rate new features posted in the "Product Suggestions" forum.

We'll be sending out monthly Newsletters with new POLL questions so we can create the features that you want and need.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:38am

3. Browse for folder always places the window such that I cannot reach the new folder or the OK button without moving it up.  Is that me, my display or a software bug?

Windows should save the size and location of the ‘Folder’ browser ‘Open File’ dialog boxes if you change them.  If that’s not what this question is about please provide more info on how to reproduce the problem.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:42am

10. It does not show me what library is open when I have the library view alone with no parts creation going on.  I need to see that before I save or doing any line item deletes.

It appears at the bottom (in the Status Bar) of the library window in either full or partial screen mode.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:46am

11. I have to keep changing the Output Directory name in Create Footprint.  Where is the default setting for that if I do not want it to go to the PADS library directory?  I just want to see if the files are being created right without opening.

To save the directory click the ‘Save Entries as Preferences’ button.

To just output  ‘p’ & ‘d’ files uncheck the auto-import box.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>