PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Through-Hole Pad Stack Designer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Through-Hole Pad Stack Designer
    Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 7:55am
If you open the Through-Hole Pad Stack Designer dialogue (Utilities > TH Pad Stack Calculator) and change Lead Shape to Square/Rectangle you can get into a situation where you can't enter different values for Height and Width for a rectangular lead.

If you enter a height that is higher in value than the width when you tab out both values change to be equal to be equal to the width.

I am guessing that this is the intended behaviour and the behaviour is that width should be greater in value than height always for rectangular leads but there's nothing pointing the user to this conclusion.

I am guessing that the programming might be awkard if the height and width values could be either greater than each other?

Substituting Length for Height would be more sensible I think since Length > Width.
Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:44am
The hole Pad Stack Designer calculates pad shapes based on the hole size.

The hole size can be either entered directly or calculated based on the lead size.

There is no provision for manual pad size entry.

The only way to effect a different pad size would be to change your through-hole terminal preferences. If you think about it this makes sense.  It's repeatable since it follows rules.  There's no way to reconstruct a manual pad size entry.
jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 8:54am
Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply, but I was talking about the entry for the lead size where the user can input a rectangular lead size.
 Post Reply Post Reply