PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Find Footprint By Pin Count

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Find Footprint By Pin Count
    Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 4:30am
Hello, in the find can you add an option for pin count?

I.E. when searching for an SOIC 8 it would be better to be able to search for SOIC and enter 8 in the pin count and then only to display the 8 pin SOIC parts rather than ALL the parts and have to find the 8 pin ones amongst them.
Matthew Lamkin View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 4:35am
Or when searching for the user to be able to enter SOIC and 8 pin and list all to only show results that match all strings entered.

When you use catagories and list SOIC 1.27 then use the find to list "8 pin" show all lists all other catagories. How about a "show all in the current catagory"?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 7:44am
The Pin Qty is the last number in every Footprint Name (except BGA's).

Use the "Category" feature, to narrow down the Component family and Pin Pitch.

However, you are in 100% control of the "Category" feature. You can add the "Pin Qty" to the left of the semicolon.

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 8:00am
Tom, I don't think you understand the issue.

This is when searching for a part, currently if I wanted to find a 27 pin BGA I would have to type everything upto and including the pin count.

I cannot just type (in the find field) "BGA 27 Pin".

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 8:13am
The PCB Footprint Expert will be offering all components both standard and non-standard into the FPX or PKG files. The PKG file is the upcoming "Package Editor" to allow the creation of any component package using interactive graphic editing. Example: the user will insert holes and the program will auto-generate padstacks and use the component body to auto-generate all the drafting outlines.

Coming in 2013, all searches will be done by component manufacturer logic part number. The new format for the FPX and PKG files will marry the Logical and Physical data together. i.e: we will have millions of FPX files in our Cloud for users to search for Mfr. & Mfr. Part Number.

Our goal is to create an advanced PLM system that goes beyond the physical attributes. I know you want to search for "Pin Qty" but our future vision is to syncronize library data so that it closely matches the average Bill Of Material (that always contains the Logical Part Number and Logical Description and never the Pin Qty).

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 3:29am
That would be nice when you have all the parts in the world, however until then (even then) there is a need for people to be able to search on more than a single parameter or an exact one.

If a user wants a 1.27mm pitch 28 pin SOIC footprint they will want to search and look through all the 1.27mm pitch SOIC parts  to see which one of the standard ones supplied matches closest their datasheet. They are however fairly well spaced from each other.

What I am suggesting is the ability to narrow down the search based on what a user would normally be searching for, pin count is high on this list.

By making the search tool able to find all terms entered then this is possible.

Like when using this site, you can enter "SOIC 28 pin" and it will find posts with "SOIC blah blah blah 28 pin" in them if "Match all words" is used.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:54am
You might be interested in the new upcoming IPC-7351C Land Pattern Naming Convention.

The Pin Qty is moving from the last number to the first number.

Example: QFN20P65_B600X500X120L50X30T300X250

Quad Flat No-lead, 20 pins, Pitch 0.65, Body Length X Width X Height, Lead Length X Width, Thermal Length X Width

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:04am
The new IPC-7351C naming convention is now in the V2016.08 release.

The footprint names now have the Pin Qty. at the beginning of the footprint name.

Example:
QFP48
QFP52
QFP80
QFP100
QFP160

So when you sort the FPX file by Footprint Name, all the Pin Qty.'s now line up the way you requested.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply