PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orcad 17.2 Decimal Separator Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpderuiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orcad 17.2 Decimal Separator Issue
    Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:11am
We use the Lite version of Library Expert to create footprints for OrCAD PCB 17.2.

Until OrCAD 17.2 S008 all worked fine.

But from OrCAD 17.2 S009 this is broken.

The sizes of the pads are way too big, so they cannot be placed (they overlap).

It seems that the script files that are used to make the pads now need to use the regional decimal separator setting (for us it is a comma) as decimal seperator, while before (until OrCAD 17.2 S008) it was fixed as a dot.

Since the script created by Library Expert uses a dot as decimal separator, this does not work anymore.

Note that the script for creating the outline etc (which also has a dot as decimal separator) is still working, so OrCAD seems to be inconsistent...

chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:40am
Uh... Yikes? I <3 Cadence :/.

Can you check if there is a setting that can be used which allows you to use the '.' instead of the ','?

Also.. are you able to pull the file into notepad and search/replace '.' with ',' and the part then actually imports?

Edit: I have the patch downloading.

Edit2: Got current to S010 and it appears to be working properly. Maybe this was a bug in S009, that they fixed rq? Try S010 and see if the problem persists.
jpderuiter View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpderuiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:35am
Hi, thanks for your support.
Originally posted by chrisa_pcb chrisa_pcb wrote:

Can you check if there is a setting that can be used which allows you to use the '.' instead of the ','?
Unfortunately there is no setting for this.

Also.. are you able to pull the file into notepad and search/replace '.' with ',' and the part then actually imports?
Yes, I already tried it as a work around, and it works. 
However, since the script file also contains filenames, replacing all dots with commas also breaks the script, so you have to manually replace them...

Got current to S010 and it appears to be working properly. Maybe this was a bug in S009, that they fixed rq? Try S010 and see if the problem persists.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already have S010 installed, and the issue is still there. Do you have the ',' as decimal seperator ("Decimal Symbol") in your Regional settings?

There are 2 workarounds:
  • Changing the decimal seperator to a dot in the Regional settings.
    However, this is not preferred as we normally use the comma in the Netherlands, so a dot will be confusing.
    Also other programs may break when I change this...
  • Since I have OrCAD PCB 16.6 installed besides 17.2, I can create the footprint for 16.6, run the script with OrCAD 16.6, save the footprint, and then open it in 17.2.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:27am
Changing the regional settings to '.' to import the parts sounds solid. Is there any reason you can’t change it back afterwards?

I don't see the point of trying to jockey between , and . in the scripts. Just more added complexity. Good to see you've found a workaround.

Where are the regional settings for this located?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:33pm
These 2 issues were fixed in V2017.07 pre-release – www.pcblibraries.com/downloads

·         Allegro/OrCAD PCB:

o   When the Anti-pad Size is smaller than the Pad Size, the translator will force it to be larger by .005. This is done to bypass the needless warnings from Allegro. It shouldn’t have any effect on the manufacturing.

o   Fixed an issue that was generating duplicate pad stacks for symmetrical pads at different orientations as found on a Chip Resistor, etc.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpderuiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:52am

Where are the regional settings for this located?
It's a Windows setting, see: 
Since it's a common setting for the whole computer, all other program's will be affected by this setting as well...

EDIT: 
BTW: I also notified Cadence about this issue shortly after S009 was released, but I haven't had feedback from them yet.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpderuiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Tom H Tom H wrote:

These 2 issues were fixed in V2017.07 pre-release – www.pcblibraries.com/downloads

·         Allegro/OrCAD PCB:

o   When the Anti-pad Size is smaller than the Pad Size, the translator will force it to be larger by .005. This is done to bypass the needless warnings from Allegro. It shouldn’t have any effect on the manufacturing.

o   Fixed an issue that was generating duplicate pad stacks for symmetrical pads at different orientations as found on a Chip Resistor, etc.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply.
However, I don't see how the two issues are related to my problem.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpderuiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 5:14am
Hi,

I just checked Orcad PCB 17.2 S011 (the latest hotfix from last weekend), and the issue is still not solved by Cadence...
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpderuiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:13am
Hi,

have you been able to reproduce this behavior?

Jan Pieter
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:05am
I believe its an issue.. one that Cadence needs to rectify. They need to provide a setting for it in Allegro. Until then, you'll need to use the workaround.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>