PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Density Level Suffix Always USR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Density Level Suffix Always USR
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:39pm
Hi.  I could use some help with 2015.13/14.

The problem is Density level Nominal (N) is selected yet the footprint name suffix is always USR.  I've tried everything, including changing the preferences file to IPC-7351B_DefaultPreferences.dat yet the problem remains.

Pick any surface mount family, press the reference button, the suffix is USR.

ex Component Type: Chip = RESC3216X140USR

I'm using the same preferences file I used with 2015.12 and that version doesn't do that.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks,
Chris
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 1:58pm
I would create a brand new Preference File.

We have updated and changed Preferences so much in the past year that it might be time for some users to create a brand new Preference file.

USER should only appear when you have USER text here: (remove all Text if you want to use Density Levels)

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
GrungyRemnant View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 6:13am
Perfect.  I incorrectly assumed that would only be used if settings in the calculator were changed.

Thanks!

Chris
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 1:09pm
Another question, where is the Overwrite density level suffix setting saved?  It does not seem to be part of the Preference source. Is there a list of what's included and what is not included in the preferences file?

I'm trying to do a company wide settings roll out and not all the settings seem to part of this file.  Is that correct?  If so do you have any tutorials for doing a company wide roll out so that all users use common settings for a common preferences source?

Thanks

Chris
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:01pm
To define your 3-Tier library system, you must select each Density Level on at a time and change every preference value for each Density Level.

i.e.: Select Least Density Level and then establish all your Least settings. Then select Nominal and set all your Nominal settings.
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 7:01am
Thanks but I'm not sure I understand your response.

I want everyone use the IPC defaults, essentially.  We want everyone to use the same preferences file that is stored on the server.  We are not using USR settings and don't want that suffix to appear on the parts.  Yet that suffix setting doesn't seem to be controlled by the preferences file.  Is that the case or is it a bug?

I was also asking that since that suffix is not controlled by the Default Preferences Source, can you inform me of any other settings in the prefrences section that may not be controlled by the preferences file.

I've been under the impression that all preferences in the setup preferences section are controlled by the Default Preferences Source and it doesn't make sense that some are not.

Thanks again,
Chris

Ian S View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ian S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 7:42am
Chris,

As it stands today, some settings will have to be stored locally, for example, the location of your personal/company-wide preferences file.

Have a look here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\PCB Libraries\Library Expert 2015\ConsolePreferences.dat

It does seem that some of the settings stored in the ConsolePreferences.dat could be stored in your personal preferences file (or other suitable remotely-stored file).

I'm sure the V2016 release will address this type of issue and make it easier for multiple users to share settings more easily - Add this to the Product Suggestions forum

Ian

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:07am
Thanks for the reply, Ian!!

CJB
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:36am
Console Preferences store all the settings in the Console Tree (Design, Files and Display tabs) -

Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrungyRemnant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:38am
Excellent.  Understood, thanks.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply