PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove Origin Marker from Courtyard Layers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove Origin Marker from Courtyard Layers
    Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:23pm
Hi there,

I have always been a little puzzled by the inclusion of the origin marker on the Courtyard layer(s) and in general don't want this in my land patterns.

It seems that the only way to not include this feature is to go to a USER Surface Mount Density level.

In general I prefer to simply use the Nominal level and am concerned that if I switch to USER in order to disable this feature, other setting may change to undesirable values.

Do I have to switch to USER or is there another way to remove this feature (like hacking the default setting)?

What settings are default values for the USER selected setting based on?

What is the value in having the origin marker included? (I am concerned that since the courtyard defines the extent of the part, having other details in this layer may confuse Allegro).

Feel free to share other thoughts on this feature as well... I am poised to generate my new library and don't want to have to generate everything multiple times to get this right...

Thanks! Dave.
DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:49pm
It looks like selecting the USER profile works well enough ... still curious though as to the benefits or down sides of including the origin marker in the land pattern, with a specific leaning towards Allegro...

Cheers! Dave.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 5:13pm
The Courtyard and Origin Marker are on the same layer because they do not get post processed to Gerber, Assembly or Drill Drawing. Their primary use is for part placement.

I would not use "User Preferences" as they are going away in a future release. Use "Default Preferences". You can turn on/off the Centroid Marker or Courtyard in Default Preferences. The "Setup Preferences" button will become just a button that opens the Default Preferences. In the new Default Preferences, the Library Expert user will have unlimited control over every aspect of the Footprint.

Example: In the future, the user will have complete control over the resulting pad size for every pin pitch. We call it Proportional SMD pad stacks. Well still support the IPC-7351 3-Tier library system but we strongly believe that everyone will migrate over to Proportional SMD pad stacks. This will follow J-STD-001 and IPC-610 standards for solder joint creation and acceptance.

Proportional SMD Pad Stack        
Gullwing Lead Shape (SOP & QFP)
Pin Pitch     Toe     Heel    Side    Courtyard
1.27 mm    0.30    0.35    0.05    0.25
1.00 mm    0.25    0.30    0.05    0.25
0.95 mm    0.25    0.30    0.05    0.25
0.08 mm    0.25    0.30    0.04    0.25
0.65 mm    0.20    0.25    0.03    0.25
0.50 mm    0.20    0.25    0.02    0.25
0.40 mm    0.15    0.20    0.01    0.25
0.35 mm    0.10    0.20    0.00    0.25

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Mattylad View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattylad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 1:12pm
I commented on this a long time ago.
I see it serving absolutly no purpose for me, if the origin is in the center of a component then I don't need to see that exact position on my placement layer.
To me it's just extra stuff that's not needed.

I found that simply editing the preference files (carefully) to change
Quote IncludeCentroidCrosshair="True"

to
Quote IncludeCentroidCrosshair="False"

Made it a permanent change for me.

Whats going to happen in the future and the pad stacks have no bearing on the current status of it.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 1:24pm
You can toggle almost every Drafting Item on/off.

V2015.12 is the last release this year with new features.

We will fix bugs in V2015 for the remainder of the year if there are any.

Our main focus is on the rewrite of V2016.

We do have a surprise in June that will shock the global electronics industry and affect everyone building CAD library parts. We've been waiting for this event for the past 4 years and it's finally going to happen.  Wink 

Matthew Lamkin View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 3:37am
Did it happen Tom?

The event that was supposed to shock?

What was it because I'm not shocked enough to remember it SmileWink
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 6:39am
1 million parts on POD for free download to all Library Expert Pro users.

And a Free POD Builder software that has every Pro feature turned on. Purchase parts for $1 as needed. If you can't afford Library Expert Pro, now you get LE Pro for free with 21 CAD interfaces and 3D STEP.

We hope that $1 per part is less expensive than manually building parts.

Post Reply Post Reply