PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FPX --X--> Eagle.lbr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FPX --X--> Eagle.lbr
    Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:41pm
I built some parts (fpx), then ran the scr to get the lbr in Eagle.  The parts look ok (TO ME) in fpx, but when Eagle tries to build a new lbr with the scr, it gags with several error messages.

The only thing I remember doing that was unusual and very difficult to get right was moving the origin of a part to get a new variant (SMD->TH).  But, in the end, it looked OK.

Can you see where I went wrong (other than not just using POD)?

chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 3:27pm
The initial problem appears to be in the way the slotted holes M1 - M3 are being translated on the Molex part.

I pulled up the definition for the PAD command in the help. At first blush, it would appear that 'long' would refer to a slotted hole. But fully reading it, it appears that only the pad is elongated(and setting a length by ratio in the DRC? No idea how that is done in script). Also, the ratio appears to be the same for all long pads, which would seem to restrict it to use in only one size of slot, whereas your part has two different sizes of slots.

I can also place the long pad in the editor, but it only confirms this is a circle hole with something akin to a finger pad. I'm not seeing any way of placing an actual slot(oval pad, oval hole). If you can lock down placing an item in the editor to best match how a slot like the one in your part should be placed, I can script the command from it.. but trying to get an actual full slot seems like a non-starter at this point unless I'm missing a command. It simply doesn't exist in Eagle from what I'm seeing.

SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:26pm

In my version the pads are spec'd as oblong, and the holes are spec'd as slots.  I guess the radius is auto-generated to fill the ends with the proper diameter.  So I am not seeing the anomalies that you are reporting.  I just cannot build the parts to get a good script.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:34pm
If you have a .lbr file spec'd as slots, please send it and i'll have a look.
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 9:46am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:17am
The LBR file shows the slots not coming through.. .just the assembly outlines of the hole. Is this how you want slots done?
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:31am
I really do not know how best to specify this.  I did not know there would be a fab issue compared to standard drilled holes until this came up.  I spec'd a slot and an oblong pad, and thought it would do the right thing.  Its just one example.  I have other parts with slots.  So I am hoping there is a 'right way' for Eagle that PCBLE can accomodate.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:39am
As far as I can tell.. there is no way to specify the slots. I'm getting ready to set it so that it'll flag this situation and simply not translate the part(s). Let me know if you come up with a solution and i'll implement it.
SteveD View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 12:19pm
According to the Eagle manual for version 7 section 8.13: 

"8.13 Components with Oblong Holes If the board manufacturer has to mill oblong holes, you have to draw the milling contour of oblong holes in a separate layer. Usually this is layer 46, Milling. The milling contour for components that need oblong holes can be drawn with WIRE (and possibly ARC) with a very fine wire width near or even 0 in the Package Editor. Take a pad that has a drill diameter which lies inside the milling contour, or SMDs, for example in Top and Bottom layer, as basis for the oblong hole. In case of a multilayer board you should draw a WIRE in the used inner layers at the position of the oblong holes so that it covers the milling contour and leaves a kind of restring around the opening. Please inform your board manufacturer that they have to take care on the milling data drawn in this layer.  Also tell  them whether they should  be plated­through or not. Any other cut­outs in the board are drawn in the same way: Use a separate layer, typically layer 46, Milling, and draw the milling contours. Tell your board manufacturer that they have to take care with this information and make special note."

So that is the Eagle way.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 12:27pm
Well.. can you take your part and make it look how you want it per that description. You're the one that's going to have to ultimately build the board, so complete understanding of what has been done on your part is ideal. Once you get that, I can take what you did to generate the slot and scriptify it into a general solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>