PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting with Clients

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting with Clients
    Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:49am

Hi folks,

My current client is starting to reduce the hours spent on PCB design locally and attempting to move this process to cheaper labor overseas.

While I am not sure if this will work well for them, thinking about my own personal situation I need to widen my client base.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding ways to make connections with companies that are looking for contract/project based layout services? 

I am wondering if there is any website/forum/recruiter that folks typically use to make new contacts in the industry.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and am primarily familiar with Mentor Expedition workflow though I do have past experience with OrCAD > PADS also.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Cheers! Dave
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 11:47am
It's difficult to be a PCB designer and a sales person simultaneously.

I recommend that you contact all the local fabrication shops and offer then a sales commission for customer leads.

You need to get to EE engineers who are looking for PCB design talent. One of the best resources is people who EE engineers constantly need to talk to. This would be component manufacturer sales reps and application engineers spend every day talking to EE engineers. Hook up with them and offer a commission for referrals.

Also, watch Monster.com PCB Designers. There are companies looking for Expedition talent that can't fill the position but still need boards designed. 
Either you create your own brochure and personally pass them out or pay someone to refer your services.

I totally agree with you about off-shore engineering and design. It usually does not work out and eventually the work comes back to America. However, other countries are hungry for work and will do anything for survival, including getting a college degree and spend most of their time working, learning and offering low cost alternatives.

I've been following the PCB design market place in the past year, watching PCB designer's salary plummet, and working hours slashed and companies only hiring temporary help with no benefits and a low wage and there are PCB designers in America jumping at those $25 an hour open positions willing to work night shifts or whatever it takes to pay the bills.

As a business person, you'll have to be more flexible with your prices to compete in a global market.

Best of luck to you on finding the right the right customers. 
DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 12:47pm

Thanks for the note Tom. I will certainly chase down these paths and see where it all leads...!
 Post Reply Post Reply