PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class A (Most) Land Pattern Extended Pads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quilty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class A (Most) Land Pattern Extended Pads
    Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 7:28am
Hey everyone,

My understanding for IPC's Class A Land Patterns is that they perform just as well as Class B (Nominal) Land Patterns. I also know that the Class A Land Patterns have been kept for those who may be soldering the component to the PCB by hand. Finally, where I am a little confused, is where a particular Pad may be too small or too big, this could cause issues in manufacturing to IPC Class specifications depending on the size, which leads me to the question: 

Is it okay to extend my Pads to allow for easier hand soldering? If so, how much longer am I allowed to make these Pads before it degrades the Fillet too much, since the solder would be spreading along the Pad instead of climbing the lead to form the Filet?

Edit: I just noticed the Land Pattern Forum section, I can move this there if you would like, otherwise I will leave it here, or if a MOD could move this post, that would be awesome! Let me know if you want me to move it.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 8:30am
You can't manually solder BTC or Grid Array parts, and Gullwing parts don't require a lot of solder on the Toe. 

However, 80% of the parts on a typical PCB layout are Chips. Here is the IPC J-STD-001 guidelines for Chip packages. The main focus is the "F" dimension or the Toe solder joint goal.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply