PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Libraries > PCB Library Construction Guidelines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beware of TI Case Code Package Dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beware of TI Case Code Package Dimensions
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:21pm
Texas Instruments (TI) is in the process of replacing the old obsolete JEDEC naming convention that they used for the past 30 years for their Case Code assignments. 

An example of the old TI Case Code is a typical SOIC - D (R-PDSO-G8) where the "D" is assigned by TI and the R = Rectangle, P = Plastic, SO = SOIC, G = Gull Wing and 8 = pin qty. 

TI acquisitioned National Semiconductor (NS) and they decided that NS had a better Case Code assignment than the JEDEC name. 

DWV0008A = the new TI Case Code for a 8-pin SOIC

Lately, we've noticed that Texas Instruments assigns the same Case Code number to multiple packages with different dimensions. 

Here is an example of a QFN with 3 different Thermal Tab sizes using an identical Case Code - 
RTE (S-PWQFN-N16)

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
dsimpson View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:37am
At least those 2 drawings had dimensions!  I keep running into drawing that say "See next page for Thermal Tab dimension", and then the next page has no dimension data.  Have to contact them and wait while they contact someone else!  I guess I should be happy that TI returns their their support questions, unlike some companies!

Librarians get no respect.  ;-)

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:49am
Here's a link to the back door of TI Case Code package data - Here

These are PDF files of the physical package dimensions. 

And it points to over 110,000 links of their Logical Data part numbers that use each specific Case Code. 

Currently, there are about 90,000 TI part numbers on POD and we're updating the Case Codes as fast as TI changes them, but we cannot globally update all Case Codes on POD due to the variety of different dimensions under the same Case Code number. 

I wish that all component manufacturers would pick one Case Code number for each set of component dimensions. if the package dimensions are different, then create a new Case Code. 

I think this is the reason that they indicate "See the next page for Thermal Tab dimensions" and then when you look there are none.

5not4 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5not4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:38am
Hi Tom.

I get a dead link for the "back door".
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:11am
I moved the link into the word "Here" and it seems to work OK. 

Post Reply Post Reply