PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XP Installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XP Installation
    Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 1:54am
Hi, I am wondering if somebody might be able to help or shed some light on, we are a large organisation, and are slowly rolling out Windows 7, but in the mean time many of our machines are still on Windows XP, we have the network version of PCB Footprint Expert, so are installing the software on quite a few clients with XP.
one of our software validaters has come across problems with XP installations (I realise its not been fully tested in this environment) but in the mean time we would still like to get this working.

We follow the installation something like this.
1)     Install Version 4.0 or above .Net Framework from Microsoft
2)      Install the latest Footprint Expert from PCB Libraries
3)   Install the Sentinel “HASP windows GUI Installer”
4)    Finally we configure the local host with our IP address and turn off Broadcast.

once completed basically the software will not run. this is a message from the validator.

I installed Footprint Expert on two PC’s under WinXP; they don’t run. Sandglas opens and nothing happens.

On a virtual machine under WinXP I installed it also, and it works.

In the Computer Management I found an Error Message.

If I opened the Properties I get the following message. Seems to be Dot.Net. Version 4 is installed.

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 6:24am
Can you verify you have all these Microsoft .NET installations (Control Panel >> Programs)

Since you're in Germany, the date and size may be a bit different...
sgdavies View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 3:32am
Hi Nick,
This is the answer I got from our validator.

Control Panel: WinXP (Virtual Machine-English)) it runs!

Control Panel: WinXP (Desktop-DE) does not run!

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 3:46am

It's safe to assume this is a .NET framework issue based on your error message.

I came across a problem in the past (license related), where the license mechanism froze up if it found two certain versions of the Framework. Please try to make the following changes to the Desktop-DE machine so it is identical with the Virtual one that works:

1. Remove .NET Framework 1.1

Does that make a difference?
   If not you might try to locate the following revisions on Microsoft.com --

2. Uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 (892MB) and install 2.0/SP2 that is 185MB
3. Uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (28.5MB) and install 3.5/SP1 that is 28.3MB

Note, if you select "German" or "English" language setting for download, it will likely make a difference for the size of the Framework.

I'm very curious to find out if this resolves the issue...

sgdavies View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 7:34am
Hi Nick,

So far, Wolfgang has deinstalled .NET Framwork 1.1, rebooted an called  the Footprint Expert again and got the same Error.

Post Reply Post Reply